help please......

danie
on 6/27/09 12:27 pm - virginia beach, VA
Ok so my surgery is shedule for july 28. I know some of the things i need...but i still need some help getting it all down on a list so that i could go shopping to be prepared. What are some of the things that i need for the hospital stay. What are some of the things i need when i get home. I also wanted to know what protein shakes are good that i should stock up on. Any  imput would be great.
                                                             thans Danie
Tam
on 6/27/09 12:55 pm - Richmond, VA
I am so excited for you.  Your date is coming up so fast!  My advice would be to not stock up on anything protien wise...your taste buds will change a lot and often after surgery.  Get some SF popsicles, SF Jello and SF pudding.  It also depends on what your surgeon allows post op.  I could only have shakes 4 times a day for two weeks and the SF popsicles, jello and pudding.  You really wont need much at the hospital.  I took a bag and never opened it.  They provided everything.  You may want chapstick, your own pillow, toiltries and an i pod.  Make sure you get your vitamins and start taking them as soon as permitted.  You should also get in extra protein NOW as it aids in healing after surgery.  Hope this helps!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

danie
on 6/27/09 4:22 pm - virginia beach, VA
Thanks so much tammy. That really does help. I never thought about taking my ipod, thats a good idea. i was just going to take my books. i love James Patterson.
Tam
on 6/27/09 10:31 pm - Richmond, VA
I took books but never felt like reading.  I used my i pod to drown out all of the back sounds (monitors beeping, people walking/talking) so I could sleep.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

melanie M.
on 6/28/09 12:04 am - Hopewell, VA
Danie,

Dont stock up on protein powders for shakes.Your tastebuds will change after surgery. I fond the EAS whey protein(Walmart/Sams club) to be good. I have the vanilla and chocolate. I also bought DiVinci SF syrups(various flavors) and made different types of shakes.

I also took a bag of stuff and never used them. I wore my jammies into hospital and wore them out of hospital. Only thing I used was my toothbrush and a clean pair of undies. I was too drugged up to care about reading or anything else. I had my surgery LAP so I was out the next day.

Cant wait to see you on loser bench with us!!
Ms Court
on 6/28/09 12:45 am - Remington, VA

For the hospital, a robe, chapstick, toiletries, a pillow (definitely needed for the ride home to cushion your tummy), slippers.

As for when you get home, this definitely depends on what your surgeon's program is.  Sugar free jello, popsicles, pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. if you have to be on soft foods.  As for protein, so many people end up having their tastes change and have a hard time finding protien they like.  I ended up ordering sample packs of lots of different flavors and for my first 3 weeks did a different one every time until I found what I liked.

Working on things like upping your water & protein now, cut out caffeine and carbs, start your vitamins will help tremendously.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Brenda E.
on 6/28/09 2:31 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
I am so glad you asked this question Danie!!  My surgery is July 29th and I have been wondering the same thing.
danie
on 6/28/09 4:09 am - virginia beach, VA
well brenda we are in the same boat my surgery is the 28th of july. we can become losers together.
Denise V.
on 6/28/09 11:11 pm
I am actually going in for a revision on the 3rd of Aug and if I remember one thing that I took with me for my initial surgery it was my pillow, not so much for the sleeping part but for the ride home to use as a cushion (as a PP already said).  I took remember I took EVERYTHING I could think of when I had surgery back in 05, and did not use ANY of it.... This time I plan to take a PJ set to come home in and a pillow and a picture of my daughter and that is it!

Best of luck to you!
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
lysb
on 6/29/09 4:21 am - Alexandria, VA
Have you checked out the book WLS for dummies?  I found it really helpful at the beginning.  good luck to ya! lys

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views