Too many hernia's & too old (64)

marscott
on 6/25/09 11:11 am - Bassett, VA
HI!
This is Marge, I live in Bassett Va. (near Martinsville)
 I wonder if you can answer my questions?

1.  I had grastroplast surgery in 1995. Lost 125lbs. I always had a problem with vomiting.
After the surgery over a period of years I had 2 hernia surgeries. Then in 2003 I started having trouble eating solid foods. I had no insurance so I could not get any DR. to help me. Finally  in Feb. 2007 I got my Medicare. So the search is on for a Dr to do something. I started with this Medical Group in August. You know Tests appointments, more test. During this time I am getting worse and worse. I was droping weight like crazy. I was vomiting constantly. I had to got to the emergency room for a fluid and potasium  IV . I was there for over 8 hours. The ER DR. said I needed to contact the surgeon who was suppose to do a reconstruction. Finally at Christmas time my daughter called the surgeon and  got an appointment immediately. He decided he would do the surgery. Now this was Dec 26th 2007. I got scheduled for surgery January 21, 2008. Surgery went well. I was in the hospital 4 days, but I was so weak that I could hardly walk. I lost down to 238.
There was little counseling about eating small amounts and being careful what I ate. If the nurse told me anything I did not understand. (I am very hard of hearing and wear two hearing aids. People have to talk slow and look at me for me to understand them.) So I went home and did my followup visits with his Nurse Practioner and a brief visit from him at every appointment..
He is not a caring DR.

Well I guess it's my fault I gained so much back because I didn'****ch what I ate. After I was well enough to eat things that I hadn't eaten in 13 years. I went crazy and ate like a pig. No other way of saying it. 

So when I got the hernia 8 months later I went to another Dr. This Doctor  did laproscopy hernia repair. I did fine with this surgery. But I have gained back 75% of the weight I lost.

I asked my primary care DR, about another gastric surgery she said because of my age ( 64) and the three hernias and mesh that was put in the last time. I was not a good candidate for another surgery. (which I understand) 

The only other medical problemsI have are; my nerves; acid stomach;  Arthritic knees and wrists. My heart , Blood pressure, Liver, Lungs and the rest of my body is good.

But I am now at 315 lbs. 45% fat body mass and am miserable!!
What does anyone think ,Do you think anything could be done? Just asking!  Marge
Pat F.
on 6/25/09 2:40 pm - Richmond, VA
I am not real sure what to say but that if you want to try to go back to the begining at start again and you might find that you will start to loss again the tool should still be there. I would start with carnation instant breakfast the sugar free one. Then progress up to a several small meals and see how that goes. Please make sure you get in your protien and water. Some of the others on here should be able to help you some. I have not had the surgery but do know that a lot of people do this and they start to lose again. My daughter and husband has had the surgery. Again this is just a suggestion as to what might help.

lysb
on 6/25/09 10:25 pm - Alexandria, VA
Hi Marge - i have nothing of value to add, but wanted to say welcome to the VA board, i'll keep you close in prayer. lys

Ms Court
on 6/26/09 12:32 am - Remington, VA
Hi Marge!  Welcome to the board.  Sounds like you have had a tough road with your surgeries.  I agree with momma Pat.  Try going back to the basics, following the rules and getting back on track.  It may help you start losing again.  A good nutritionist can probably help you with that.  I wish you the best.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Tam
on 6/26/09 1:20 am - Richmond, VA
Hi Marge and Welcome!  Absolutely, go back to the basics.  You were given a tool, not an easy fix.  If you go back to the beginning and are disiplined it WILL work for you again!  Good luck and keep us posted.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views