I think Dr. Barker's trying to kill me

SweetLuvableAngel
on 6/18/09 2:29 am
No seriously. I know I haven't been around much. Sorry guys. Life is busy when the hub is gone. But seriously.  I think the crazy Dr. is trying to kill me. I had my follow up not too very long ago. It was supposed to be my 3 month but it was closer to 4 and a half. He asks me what I'm eating and I tell him. It equates to approximately 600 cals. a day and 40-50 grams of protein. He says that's great, perfectly normal and yells at me for drinking milk. I'm not supposed to drink any calories. Seriously! Anyway, my hair is falling out in friggin handfuls. Not little clumps. HANDFULS. Last week for the first time in my life, I fainted. I went down on concrete like a stone and got myself a nice concussion. When I got to the ER, they couldn't get my blood pressure to stabilize. It kept dropping to dead people levels every time I'd move. I'm talking 60/55 here. They said I have orthostatic hypotension. I looked it up. It's a condition that anorexics suffer from. I'm scared. I'm shaky all the time and I have constant migraines so I know this can't be healthy. I'm calling Dr. Barker's other patients here. At 5 months out are you eating 600 cals a day? I don't know how to get more in. It just won't fit. I am very hydrated though. That's the only positive. I have no trouble whatsoever getting my fluids in. I seriously am scared I'm going to have a heart attack though. I'm terrified. Help me out here please.

Jamie
Starting wt./surgery wt/current/goal
251/239/105/130
I gained 10 lbs.! Wooohooo!

Melissa N.
on 6/18/09 3:06 am - Stafford, VA
Jamie,

I am so sorry you are having trouble.  I have to say first and foremost, I am not a Dr or Nutritonist nor do I play one.  You need to check with your Dr or find a new one on this information. 

Here are my thoughts:

1.  I drink milk.  It may be calories, but it also has protien, good fats, complex carbs.  Is it skim?

2.  I personally think 600 is to low for 6 months.  It should be closer to 1000.

3.  Protien is way to low, hence the hair falling out.  It should be up to the 75gram mark.

4.  Low blood pressure, add salt to your diet.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

hmd77
on 6/18/09 3:38 am - KY
Jamie,
  WOW falling on concrete can be deadly. I am glad you are ok. I agree with the other comment about 600 Cals being kind of low.  What is an example of your daily diet?
  Maybe you should see another doctor. Your health matters the most and getting the best advice is very important to staying healthy.

Keep us updated!!!
Heather
Fluffymom
on 6/18/09 3:42 am - Elizabeth City, NC
I'm a patient of Dr. Barkers, and I drink skim milk in small amounts. He doesn't believe in using shakes as a basis for calories post op but as was already said, skim milk contains other nutrients that are good for you. You need to contact the bariatric dietitian, Chris Zirpoli and speak with her. She is extremely helpful and as long as your losing  weight and your labs are good, Dr. Barker won't say much,just don't offer him too much info. I've even (gasp) eaten a few dorito chips and thats a BIG NO NO with him. Moderation, common sense and call Chris............ hang in with the hair, be sure your protein is adequate, the hair loss does slow down, mine's just starting to slow down now. CALL CHRIS!!! Good luck.

Barb
Christy P.
on 6/18/09 4:34 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I second that...Call Chris Zirpoli or Linda Barnes...they are nutritionists and will have a better idea of caloric intake at this point. I also lost my hair in clumps, but I'm 8 months out and it's all growing back in now...I have to spray my hair to keep the little spikes under control...LOL

Yeah Dr. Barker's plan is a bit extreme...I have always drank milk though..i love it! And he has never said anything bad about it, but it IS skim milk...always. He doesn't believe in protein shakes, but honestly I keep them in my house for emergencies when I know I might not have a chance to eat for a while or I'm running late for work...it's better then going without my protein! I don't drink more then about 1-2 a week though.

I hope your blood pressure and other condition clears up soon.

Start Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight
296/275/175

SweetLuvableAngel
on 6/18/09 9:06 am
I did call Chris today after having words with Ms. Boone because Dr. Barker refused to let me speak to her before. Anyway, she is completely changing my diet to more resemble the diets of the other doctors in the practice and to get my calories up. She agrees that I am basically living like an anorexic right now and that it will kill me. I'm keeping a food log for the next week and then she and I are going to go over it. I'm not following Barker's plan anymore. I think he's fricking insane and should be reported to the medical board. Just my opinion.  Thanks for all the advice and opinions, ladies. *hugs*

Jamie
Starting wt./surgery wt/current/goal
251/239/105/130
I gained 10 lbs.! Wooohooo!

Penny Denny
on 6/18/09 9:51 pm - Collinsville, VA
Jamie,

It is so good to see your smiling face. I'm glad you spoke to the nut. Let us know how the new diet goes for you. Sometimes we know more about our bodies than our drs. do.

Good luck and don't stay away so long next time,
PEnny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ms Court
on 6/18/09 8:15 pm - Remington, VA
Glad that you got a hold of the nutritionist and have a plan.  I too thought that 600 calories was too little.  I agree that milk (& protein shakes) are a good way to get in the extra calories, protien, nutrients, etc).  I hope you are back on track and feeling better soon!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views