Timetable start to finish? Your experiences please!

Toobcherished
on 6/13/09 2:28 am - Henrico, VA
Ok I'm back asking more questions.  I am at the point of trying to pick my doctor which I will tell you is very hard.  I currently will be attending a seminar on June 17th with Commonwealth Surgeons LTD in Richmond , we will see how that goes.  I am trying to get a surevey of how slowley or quikcly all of this could move.  Im wondering If perhaps (if testing goes ok and insurance approval goes through the first time) if it is possible that my surgery could be performed as early as October?  Perhaps that is to optomistic but that is how I try to live my life these days without getting my hopes up to far. 

So could you give me your experiences, it would help me out ALOT!
caroline2622
on 6/13/09 2:58 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
You need to attend presentations and support groups.  Talk to other patients and find out.

I found going to Hospital presentations and talking to the nutririonist was a great help for pre and post op requirements. 
Doctor presentations will give you all the surgical options.  I learned about the Vertical Sleeve Gastrarectomy(VSG).  I was originally considering Lap Band. 

I was lucky BCBS paid for my VSG.  For me it was a great option.  May not be for everyone.

You want to make sure the program you selet has a good followup program and nutritionist consultations . 

Good luck and do you homework.

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Tam
on 6/13/09 5:20 am - Richmond, VA
I used Commonwealth Surgeons and had my seminar at the end of January and was thru all the hoops, had all the appointments and doctor clearences, insurance approval and a date for the first week of April.  I had to push the date back a bit due to child care issues but it all goes pretty fast if the insurance goes thru.  This was for an open RNY with Dr. Hutcher.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions I could help with!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Toobcherished
on 6/13/09 9:10 am - Henrico, VA
WOW!! That is really fast Tam! Thank you for your experience.  I am also looking to do the RNY as well. 
Tam
on 6/13/09 9:39 am - Richmond, VA

Yes, it was fast.  Honestly, if I could have gotten off from work for the appointments sooner it probably would have been sooner.  Hilary Surrat, the insurance coordinator, is Dr. Hutcher's daughter and really moves quickly!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Toobcherished
on 6/13/09 10:05 am - Henrico, VA
My boss is taking off for the next 6 weeks because she is having surgery herself.  She has no idea what I'm about to do and I don't plan to tell her anytime soon.  Its only a 3 of us total in the office and I plan to use the time that she is out to get as many appts out of the way as possible.  I have one of those nosey bosses who have been trying to take off weight forever herself and I know she wont be very supportive in the weight loss surgery arena.  She will definitly vocally tell me that she thinks I am cheating.  She may have 50lbs to lose and thats stretching it.  I on the other hand could use 150 lbs.  Thanks for letting me know this could go even faster then I thought!

2B
Penny Denny
on 6/13/09 9:50 am - Collinsville, VA
For me, I had my first appt in January. I had all my nut, psych, and other appts and was approved within 2 weeks. I had my surgery in April.

However, the hard part was getting the first appt. My doc was so backed up at the time. I had to complete a pre appt questionaire in August, but did not get an appt until Jan. Good luck to you.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Heide A.
on 6/13/09 2:03 pm - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
I had RNY on Feb 24, 2009. I went to my seminar in Nov, but couldn't get in to see my do****il Jan 14th, I was approved 2 days later. I got all my testing done between Jan 21, and Feb16th. It was a whirlwind for me, but am I so very happy that I got this surgery to be able to have this new tool, to help me achieve my goal. So far so good with 101lbs lost. I applaud you for wanting to improve you life, and those who don't have over 100 to lose I ask them to live 1 week in our lives and see how we feel, I bet they see things in a different light, or at least I would hope they do, but anyways you are doing this for you not them, so you become a loser like the rest of us, it the best feeling in the world to be a "loser"
364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

Toobcherished
on 6/14/09 12:11 am - Henrico, VA
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  It helps to know other people who feel the way I do. To think myself being 100lbs lighter through hard work and discipline and a new tool blows my mind and Im so ready.  I spoke to my mom about this yesterday.  She is nervous about itand asked whether I was scared because she is scared for me. And I told her I was not and thre reason.......  My grandmother (her mother) died at just 60 years old.  She had battled diabeties for her whole life and ate herself into a very bad situation.  She was 450 lbs when she passed.  They amputated her leg before that and they BEGGED her to have the weight loss surgery to save her life.  She was too afraid and she died a short time after that from congestive heart failer and diabetes complications.  I remember her bed ridden state.  I have no fear I am only optomistic and thankful to God that he has given me the opportunity to make the choice that she could not make.  And I know I am doing the right thing.  I can not wait to join the losers bench with you!!
Ms Court
on 6/14/09 12:00 am - Remington, VA
I started looking into doctors & procedures in July of 05, made my decision in September and had surgery in November, but that was me pushing it back for personal reasons, I could have had it sooner.  It really just depends on the surgeons patient load and all of your insurance requirements.  I wish you the best on your journey.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views