New Here, What do I do first?

Toobcherished
on 6/10/09 1:14 pm - Henrico, VA
Hi all! 

I have been seriously considering weight loss s urgery for a while now but im not sure what the steps and process are.

My BMI is 48
My Insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield of VA PPO
Should I first pic a surgeon and let the surgeon handle the insurance?  What do I do first

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!
melanie M.
on 6/10/09 11:57 pm - Hopewell, VA
Hello and welcome to VA board!!

First thing you need to do is talk to your PCP about this decision so they may refer you to a surgeon to get things started. I know you have a PPO but you still have to be referred by your PCP for approval.

Once you have that you set up an appt with the surgeon and they will walk you through the steps you have to take according to what your insurance requires.

I know BC/BS requires a 6 month medically supervised diet to be documented each month from your PCP with no gaps in time(any gaps and you have to start all over again).

Good Luck!!
lysb
on 6/11/09 5:03 am - Alexandria, VA
WLECOME!  Melanie game you the same advice I would have but wanted to say welcome to the VA board! lys

Toobcherished
on 6/11/09 8:48 am - Henrico, VA
Than you all for the help! I do have a question, I talked to my insurer today and was told I dont have any requirements as far as a wait to get the surgery.  Was that the wrong info?  Also I was give names of surgeons and told and given the number.  Do you think I still will have to get a regerrel?
Penny Denny
on 6/11/09 11:59 am - Collinsville, VA
I pesonally contacted my surgeon first. They sent me a questionaire to complete and they handled everything from that point on. So maybe some of these members from Richmond can tell you their experience with certain drs. My doctor (which I highly recommend) is in Roanoke, so I'm sure that you would want one in your area. So my advice is to start researching your surgeon and then give them a call.

Good luck and welcome to our board. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Tam
on 6/12/09 11:36 pm - Richmond, VA
Who is your insurance thru?  I know BCBS...but who is your employer?  I work for BCBS so I know a bit about this.  Depending on your policty and if it has the rider depends on your requirements however ALL procedures are based on medical necessity.  I recommend talking to Dr. Hutcher as a surgeon.  He's top notch!  I am in Richmond if I can be of any help.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views