HELP! My Insurance won't approve my surgery.

hhensley123
on 5/28/09 1:06 pm - stafford, VA
Help. What can I do when my plan does not cover surgery? My BMI is over 50% and I am in desperate need of surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank You.
Lifeski
on 5/28/09 9:15 pm
I would look in the insurance forum because there seem to be a lot of great ideas over there.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/insurance/

Ms Court
on 5/28/09 10:03 pm - Remington, VA
Definitely check out the insurance forum and keep appealing & fighting their decision.  Best wishes for your journey!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Melissa N.
on 5/28/09 11:13 pm - Stafford, VA
Why won't your insurance cover it?  Usually if there is a WLS rider on your policy, it is your company who choose not to purchase the benifit and pretty much will not be able to get it approved.  If this is the case, you could always talk to your HR department about purchesing that part. 

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Lauren B
on 5/31/09 2:15 am - VA
Is it just that you have an exclusion on your insurance policy?  I've heard that some employers can carry a rider for you to be able to have surgeyr.  Perhaps that is something you can check into.  The other obvious option is self pay.  I know that there are some medical lending agencies along with going to your local credit union or bank to inquire about if you could get approval.  Good luck!

369/175/136
Highest Weight/Goal/Current Weight
233lbs LOST!!
Maintenance going strong!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views