Let me introduce myself (Long Post)

Lifeski
on 5/27/09 2:36 am
Hi I am Teresa and I am currently trying to learn as much as I can about weight loss surgery.  For the past 15 months I have been taking part in a clinical trial at VCU for the VBLOC device for weight loss.  For the first year there was a 33% chance that my device was not turned on but at the end of March my device was turned on officially.  Things never changed.  I am up 7 lbs since I began the study.  I have now attended two group meetings with the others who have been officially activated and I seem to be the only total "failure" so far.  I have been told that there are others who have not lost weight but mentally it does not help.  I have made huge changes in my way of eating and my excercise habits in the past 15 months.  Obviously I must do better than I have been to lose weight but I am healthier.  Right now I am in the process of getting out of the VBLOC study and working with my surgeons staff to have another procedure done at the same time the VBLOC device is removed.  Initially I had planned to have lapband.  Then I read about the gastric sleeve and that really seemed to be the way for me however no doctor in the Richmond area does it and my insurance considers it experimental.  I met with my surgeon and he has convinced me to at least take a look at having the RNY.  I must admit I am looking at it a bit differently than I did before but I am still pondering my options.  I have about 120 lbs to lose.  Anyway before I just jumped in and started posting I thought I would share where I am in my journey.  Thanks to a wonderful supportive husband I never felt unattractive until recently.  My weight was pretty proportional.  The last 30 lbs all went to my middle and life is becoming harder.  I know something needs to change.  Thanks for listening.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

lysb
on 5/27/09 4:30 am - Alexandria, VA
Teresa - welcome to the VA board, you will find a lot of supportive folks here.  RNY changed my life so much for the better, i've lost 130 lbs, i  have about 30-40 to go, i just want to be HEALTHY!  and have made so many positive changes for the better...welcome! lys

Penny Denny
on 5/27/09 6:43 am - Collinsville, VA

Welcome to the Va board. I ditto what Lys has said. RNY has changed my life. I've lost 113 pounds and would like to lose another 15-30 pounds. I've had no complications.

Ask anything you would like. Usually we have most of the answers from experience.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

caroline2622
on 5/27/09 8:21 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Good luck with your choice.   I am a VSG and have been blessed.  My insurance paid for mine.  You may want to check out the sleeve forum here.   Chat with others and ask questions of those that appealed the rejection for VSG.    Alot of rejections have been overturned.    

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Tina22026
on 5/27/09 11:30 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Welcome Teresa!  I, too, had the RNY (open) and was worried at first because I thought I wanted the lap band.   After talking with 2 surgeons it was decided I would do better with the RNY  and,  now 4 months post op; I have no regrets and would do it again as it is working for me and is changing my life for the oh so much better!!!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Cindy S.
on 5/28/09 7:07 am - Charlottesville, VA
Welcome. Teresa.
   In June, 2001 I had an open RNY and have lost quite a bit of weight. In the eight years I also had a bowel obstruction and a hernia that was related to the RNY. With malabsorption an issue, I receive monthly B-12 shots, take 27gm. iron and Vitamin D along with multi vitamin.
  Some of the lost weight has returned, but I am much healthier today than if I had never had the weight loss surgery. I may not be here today if it was not for the RNY.
 Best of luck to you.
  Cindy
hopeforme
on 5/28/09 2:07 pm - Charles City, VA
Hello, is this the Teresa from the Chantix group I use to talk to (Poobolt)???

Lifeski
on 5/28/09 9:11 pm
YES it is me.  Wow it has been a while.  I guess the last time we emailed was on our 1 year quitversary and look now it is almost 2 years and I seldom miss a cigarette.  You look great!  I see the lapband has worked very well for you.  I gained 30 lbs after quitting smoking which added to my previous bulk has motivated me to make a lot of changes inclucing considering an RNY .  Please keep in touch.  I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Teresa
hopeforme
on 5/29/09 9:39 am - Charles City, VA
Happy to hear from you also!!  I sent you a message.  Have a great weekend

Lauren B
on 5/31/09 2:21 am - VA
Teresa, I am also a patient and we were told about the VBloc study in support group.  I've been so curiuos to see how the study has been going.  I'm sorry to hear that in your case it has not been successful for you.  I completley understand wanting to continue onto another surgeical option.  Do you (or anyone reading) know of any other doctors in Richmond who would consider doing the sleeve for you?  I don't know much about that surgery.  I had RNY and have been successful and am very happy with the choice that I made.  Good luck!

369/175/136
Highest Weight/Goal/Current Weight
233lbs LOST!!
Maintenance going strong!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views