Let's get some successes up here....

Blair Maury
on 5/26/09 6:40 am - Portsmouth, VA
Ok kids...here is a little something about the journey and why we did it....I am a little over 18 months post-op....I am now back to runnin graces for the 2nd time. In March I ran the Shamrock 8k for the 2nd time. On Saturday, I did the Elizabeth River Run for the 2nd year. Last year it took me everything I had to even finish some of these races. As I have gotten leaner and leaner my fitness just keeps gettng better.

Here is the link to this year's results:

www.tidewaterstriders.com/results09/err09.txt

I finished 304th out of th enearly 900 people who finished the race and 33rd out of 65 man aged 35-39 who finished. I also peeled 20 minutes off my time from last year.

Around this time last year I was pretty proud of myself and pretty happy with what i could do. But I learn every day that this is a journey. There isn't some finish line you cross. You keep getting better every day. 

Here are  some pics from the race if you're interested:

gallery.triduo.com/p/10k_1st_loop_elizabeth_river_run_2009/1 719-4267-3369-40d57

gallery.triduo.com/p/10k_finish_elizabeth_river_run_2009/171 9-4885-4309-40d43

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
lysb
on 5/26/09 7:57 am - Alexandria, VA
Great job Blair, you are one of the TRUE success stories!   lys

Tina22026
on 5/26/09 8:37 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Awesome job Blair!  I guess my big success this month was flying to and from Bonaire without asking for a seatbelt extender!  YES!!!!  Plus, I was smaller and more confident to get scuba certified.  Life is good.  Went to a gym today to meet my new trainer only to find out my appt is next Tuesday!  LOL  guess I am ready and over excited.

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Blair Maury
on 5/26/09 9:56 am - Portsmouth, VA
That is a great success! I used to travel all the time for business and always needed one. I took my wife to Budapest when I was about 6 months out and didn't need one. It was so awesome. Remember--little victories are still victories.

Way to go on the gym. I cannot stress how important exercise is. You can and will be able to eat again. Maybe not AS much as you did before, but still enough that you can gain it back. I know I can eat a full salad when I get one for dinner or two sushi rolls. If you get in the habit of exercising now it makes it so that when you eat again you'll maintain and not gain it back. I have been basically at this weight for 6 months now and haven't gained any real weight (I have eked up about 5 lbs. from training for a triathalon, but I can tell that it's muscle mass).

meantine
on 5/26/09 10:07 am
You did a GREAT Job.
Maybe next year I will run it too.
I am still getting ready for the 8 K coming in June.  I feel good about the run Im just nervous about just doing it.
Blair Maury
on 5/26/09 10:40 am - Portsmouth, VA
I am traying to break 40 minutes in that one. Let me know where you'll be Saturday. Maybe we can get a pic for the board. Jill and I have run a couple of races along the journey. It is always cool to see others who have been through what we've been through at events like this.

Just remember: finishing is winning!

meantine
on 5/26/09 2:02 pm
40 minutes that would be great. Im hoping for 50 minutes.  I would love to meet up and get a picture. It would be great for the board.  Since I have never run this race you tell me where to meet you and I will be there.
Finishing this race will be such a big thing for me. I will be so happy I will be floating on clouds.
Penny Denny
on 5/26/09 9:36 pm - Collinsville, VA
I want to do a 5K so bad, but I don't know where to go. We did have one in our area last month, but of course it was my Saturday to work. I may check out Roanoke and see if I can find one.

My success (I too love talking about ME). I have lost 113 pounds and feel great. I'm only 15 pounds overweight now. I'm almost normal!!!! My waist measurement is now at 38 from 56. I'm so proud that I enjoy this new life. I love exercising now.

My biggest accomplishment is my family. I feel like I'm teaching them a new life. They still have a little sugar at times, but mostly healthy snacks and meals. My 15 year old son has recently lost 16 pounds. He is only  about 15 pounds overweight now. His confidence is better and is thinking of trying out for the basketball team. Even if he does not make it, I'm so proud that he is willling to try now. He's very shy and he needed this confidence boost.

My 12 year old son does not really need to lose. My 10 year old daughter is still very heavy, but we're still a work in progress. She is completing the activity challenge with me. And for the 1st time, she passed all of her physical fitness tests at school. Go CARRIE!!!

Thanks for being an inspiration Blair. Keep it up.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Tam
on 5/26/09 9:44 pm - Richmond, VA
YEAH CARRIE!  Penny, you are an inspiration for teaching your family healthy living and including them in this journey.  I, too, include Steve, Kara and my dad in this life style change and will bring Claire up with a healthy attitude!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Blair Maury
on 5/26/09 10:27 pm - Portsmouth, VA
Penny--

Check out active.com.

You can search for running races all over the state.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views