Losing weight before surgery...

MO Bay
on 10/29/06 11:13 pm - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, VA
Hello all, I am now in my 3rd out of 6 sessions with the nutrionist. She recommend that I lose 10% of my weight before my surgery. The thing is that my insurance company is not requiring that I do that. I do know I will have to do the pre surgury diet like 2 weeks before. Do you think I should do it just because she is asking me to. if I don't lose anything do you think that will go against my approval? How much did everybody have to lose before surgery and did you insurance company require you to lose or your nutrionist??? Please advise.... MO
Ernurse323
on 10/29/06 11:17 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
All I can suggest is to try not to go below a 40 BMI. If you diet and get below that EVEN with some co-morbidities, some insurance companies have been known to deny. If your BMI is about 40 you should give it a shot to shrink your liver. Good luck !!! Dana
MO Bay
on 10/29/06 11:20 pm - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, VA
Thanks Dana, My BMI is 46. My nutrionist is saying the same thing but I am like is it to soon to shrink my liver now???? Mo
Ernurse323
on 10/29/06 11:27 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Mo, I doubt it. ( That would be a good question for the main message board though !!) If we lose weight our liver should shrink. My only thought is how hard it is to stay on the diet for 3 months. It was hard for me to stick to a diet until I had this surgery as a tool. You can do it and get a head start on the weight loss. By the time I was ready for RNY surgery my willpower to diet was exhausted..That's why I needed the surgery. Other people are different and can go full force because of determination. I am excited for you !!! I have lost 101 lbs now !!! About 8 months after you have this surgery..you will have lost that much too !!! Hugs, Dana
MO Bay
on 10/30/06 12:46 am - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, VA
WOW congrats to you... I like to hear people's stories, it motivates me more and more. I am glad that you are doing good with WLS. I hope you continue with it. What is your goal, if you don't mine me asking? I hope that everything will work out for me the same way Thanks Montego
Jane M.
on 10/30/06 12:59 am - Williamsburg, VA
If your having Open surgery, then most pre-surgery diets are more or less a "compliance" thing rather than for shrinking the liver. If your having LapRNY then Loosing some weight beforehand is not a bad idea. I was not required to loose anything, but lost 17 pounds before surgery by only cutting out sugar and soda. That's on top of quitting smoking. Just don't go below 40. I've seen them deny after an approval because of that. Loosing about 10-20 pouns would be ideal. Even loosing alittle bit will shrink the liver enough. Jane
MO Bay
on 10/30/06 1:56 am - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, VA
Thanks, I am going to try to lose some within the next 3 months. I know if it is going to be 10% of my weight or not but I will try. Montego
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views