Liquid Diet - HELP!

blckonyx7
on 10/21/06 9:03 am - Wilmington, NC
My surgery is on Monday and for the past week, I have been doing the pre-op diet. I'm alittle concerned - I have diabetes and my level is 80 - should i be concerned - what should I do - I ate a lifesaver and it went up one point and before that, I had a protein drink and it went down a point. I don't know what to do and of course I'm scared - should I call the doctor? Tonya
jilldennis
on 10/21/06 9:09 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Hi, Tonya My husband Jon is a diabetic too. His surgery date is November 21. Since he has started following the same diet I do with increased protein, low carb, etc...his blood sugar has been staying between 80-84. He was concerned at first but his pcp said that was fine... If there is any doubt in your mind though I would call your doctor. I will be praying for you on Monday! Hugs Jill
blckonyx7
on 10/21/06 9:14 am - Wilmington, NC
Jill - thanks for your encouraging words - they help to put me at ease.
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/06 9:56 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I was diabetic before surgery and my surgeon would have been dead pleased if I could have got my sugar levels down at 80!! You are doing fine so don't worry.... Jackie
Betsy Anitahug
on 10/21/06 10:26 pm - Danville, VA
Tonya, I too was diabetic before the surgery...this is the only thing that will get rid of it....it is wonderful. You will definately be in my thoughts and prayers on Monday as you enter a brand new life...enjoy the journey cause it only gets better.. Hugs, Betsy
Laurie C.
on 10/21/06 11:42 pm - Vinton, VA
Tonya, I am diabetic also and had my surgery last Wed. 10/11 and have been on the liquid diet since then, my level goes up and down but I haven't been as low as 80. Did you tell your doctor doing the surgery that you were doing the liquid diet and what your range has been? I don't think I would be too worried they check it quite often after the surgery while in the hospital and they know what to do if they think it is to low. And if that is the case when it is time for you to leave the hospital i am sure they will tell you how to control it if it needs to be. I wish you all the luck and Congrats you will soon be a loser! I am sure you will be so happy you had it maybe not at first but by your second day at home if like me I was on a high, I am losing weight and it feels so good. I have lost 11 pounds so far. Best of luck to you. Laurie
Kathy & Rich
on 10/22/06 12:06 am - Fairfax, VA
80 is just fine. It if drops below 70, you might want to water down some clear unsweetened fruit juice to get it back up. Good luck! Kathy
WendyNVA
on 10/23/06 9:37 am - Va Beach, VA
Hey Tonya, I tend to agree with the other posters, eat LITTLE, but more often. My levels in my 1st year got as low at 28, according to my tester. I remember a few times I could barely make it to the fridge to get something FAST in my system. FLUID was most often the culprit. I almost passed out at JC Penney's once (fell to the knees****il hubby fetched me some water (NOT a pretty picture in the form attire section lol). You have to maintain your fluid AND food balance. If it required you to eat every 2 hours, even if a piece of cheese, then do it. And please keep up on the water levels, as they play more of a part than we ever realize. Wendy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views