Anyone with knowledge about Virginia mandatory coverage

~Janis ~
on 10/12/06 9:38 am
Hi, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I am a resident of West Virginia but my employer's main office is in Virginia. I live near the Ohio and Kentucky borders so I am hours away from Virginia even if our states share a name! I made a call to my insurance carrier to discuss coverage. At first I was told that weight loss surgery was specifically excluded by my policy. In the next breath, the customer service representative told me that Virginia had a law requiring insurance companies cover the surgery. I specifically asked if I was covered by that law since I am a resident of WVa. I was told because my employer is in Virginia, I was. I tried to ask about the kind of surgeries covered and qualification requirements. The rep. told me if the doctor says it is necessary, it will be covered. Does anyone have any imput? My insurance company is MAMSI Life and Health Insurance. I am still in investigating my options and not ready to commit to a doctor or procedure. I will do it in West Virginia if possible and I don't think the local doctor's office staff will be too familar with the laws of Virginia. Thanks for your help! Janis
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/06 7:50 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Virginia has fought the good fight , but we did not win ,.We have challenged the house and they keep turning us down . So no there is no mandatory coverage here in VA . If your insurance covers it , you can get coverage . And you will have to follow their stipulations and criteria . Best wishes to you , and I hope you get covered . Hugs, Natalie
~Janis ~
on 11/8/06 11:26 am
Natalie, There were many changes to national office holders as a result of yesterday's elections. I don't know if there was much change to the make up of the Virginia leglislature but perhaps now lawmakers may be more receptive. Do you think a vote on mandatory coverage will come up again? It sounds as if you were active in the effort. Thanks for trying! Janis
Jane M.
on 10/13/06 12:44 pm - Williamsburg, VA
No mandatory coverage. But, insurance companies do have to offer a rider to employers. Whether the employer is willing to take on the expense, is up to them . I do know that Large employer around here cover it. I'm talking Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding and companies of that size. It's still worth looking into. Speak to your HR person, do some digging. You have a fighting chance. Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views