CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN!!!

Kelli
on 10/2/06 5:38 am - Portsmouth, VA
I went to Bedford (just outside Lynchburg) this weekend. Our best friends live there. so we go up to visit them several times a year. Well they have this mountain there, called Sharp Top Mountain. It is 4000 feet and the trail (if you can call it that) is almost 2 miles long. Well each time we have been they have tried to talk us into hiking it. Well, I was always !!! Well, this weekend they brought it up again. I was like "well how bad can it be". So, we put on our trail clothes and hiking boots and packed a water and food backpack and out we go. Well, let me tell you this the 1st 1/2 mile of this trail was uphill, but I was doing ok. Then we came up the worst of it. Pretty much straight up, big rocks to climb over, fallen trees to climb over and it was so hard. possibly one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Even the 2 guys were having a hard time. it took us 1 hr and 20 mins to climb this BEAST!!! But let me tell you when we got up there it was the most beautiful site I have ever seen. They have these HUGE boulders on the top of the mountain. When we got up there. We rested ate our snacks and then my DH took, (what I am calling my ROCKY picture) a picture of me standing on this boulder. We took in the view and snapped more pics (which I will post once I get them downloaded) and walked back down the mountain. Which took only 20 mins to get down. But because of the wet rocks I slipped twice and hurt my hand. But, once we were down, I was hugging my DH and our friend and thanking them for taking me on this journey. I started crying cuz, this was one of the single best moments in this amazing journey for me so far. I cryed all the way back to their house. I hope everyone out there can have this type of experience. It may not be climbing a mountain, but I know everyone has their own "mountain" to climb!!!! p.s. I found out later that day, the trail we took was the advance climbing trail. Go figure, I cant ever do anything the easy way!!! Love and Hugs, Kelli
*~Tigger~ *
on 10/2/06 5:55 am - Staunton, VA
Way to go, Kelli! I am so proud of you! JoAnn
Kelli
on 10/2/06 6:33 am - Portsmouth, VA
Thanks JoAnn!!! It was fun and a remarkable time. I can't wait to see ya agian. You are just the sweetest!! Love, Kelli
Amber B.
on 10/2/06 6:35 am - Virginia Beach, VA
That's so awesome, Kelli! I'm so proud of you. I hope I can say the same thing someday. I thought about you on Saturday when I was walking my butt off!!! Glad you had a great weekend, you deserve it!!! Amber
Kelli
on 10/2/06 6:38 am - Portsmouth, VA
Hey Sweety!!! I am proud of myself. I thought abt you saturday too!! I wish I could have been there with ya. I really enjoyed the walk last year. I am glad to hear you hit that 50 lb mark, isnt it great!!! I will try and call ya, prolly tomorrow, tonight I will be washing clothes and cleaning from the party my kids threw Saturday nite!!! Love, Kelli
Christine Hood
on 10/2/06 7:42 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Woo Hooo Kelli! I bet you feel awesome!! Christine
sue_smith
on 10/2/06 8:24 am - Warrenton, VA
Hey Kelli Congrats!! What a terrific accomplishment. I am sure it must have been a wonderful feeling to reach the top. As your amazing journey continues, I wish you nothing but happiness. Hugs Sue
prissy25
on 10/2/06 10:07 am - Barboursville, VA
You go Girl get r done !!!!! Im sure you will have alot more of these experiences.....
A10sFrau
on 10/2/06 11:27 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi Kelli, Haven't been to the Apple Festival, but have climbed Sharp Top several times, altho not recently. It had been my plan to tackle it again this summer when I got in shape, but I didn't get around to it. My taking Cody's place at work stalled my more advanced hiking plans. Think I will plan that for this weekend! Thanks for the reminder of a great hike! Sunday I was hiking about 12 miles north of where you were. Cody's dog took a side trip without telling me, and I hiked and jogged up and down calling for him. All told I did about 6 miles--and he did finally come running up. Boy, did my back ache the next day with all that trail running. There are many wonderful trails right here in the National Forest. Try another, next time you come up! Hugs, Lois
Shanana
on 10/2/06 8:34 pm - Altavista, VA
Great Job Kelly! Were you on the parkway? You weren't too far from me. Wish I had known. Shannon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views