What to take for a cold?

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/06 11:10 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I haven't had any illness since surgery but now I find myself with a sore throat and a constantly runny /blocked nose - I know TMI TMI..... What can we take for colds to relieve the symptoms after surgery? I don't get many colds usually so I guess I did not expect to have one with all the vitamins I take!! Any help would be appreciated....... Thanks Jackie
Shanana
on 9/29/06 11:57 am - Altavista, VA
We can take any of the Tylenol based products is what I was told. We use MucinexD around here too. If you can get dr to write a script it might be cheaper than the OTC kind depending on your insurance. Hope you feel better. Shannon
cathya
on 9/29/06 2:31 pm - Orlando, FL
Jackie, Coldeze works great. Airborn sore throat gummies work great when you hold it in your mouth until it melts. If you have impacted sinuses (dry, won't drain) Go to the drug store and buy Sugar Free Tussin liquid that contains only gui-fen-i-son(phonetic) as I don't know how to spell it. This is a product that does what Musinex does but is not time release. I got this information today from my pharmacist. I also take Tylenol for the crappy feeling. Saline Nasal spray works well to kill bacteria in your sinuses. By the way, are you sure it is a cold or allergies? This time of year it is hard to tell. You can't get sick - OK, but you have to get better before Lexington. CathyA
Jane M.
on 9/29/06 11:38 pm - Williamsburg, VA
Are you sure it's not allergies, rather than a cold? I found that after surgery my allergies got ten times worse (I don't know why though.). Now I take Zyrtec faithfully. If I forget to take it I end up with the sore throat/runny/stuffed, mucus drainage and it makes my pouch hurt. Try taking claritin and if that doesn't work g, go to your doc and get some zyrtec. That stuff is the allergy meds I've ever taken. I also have Flonase, but don't use it but every so often. Hope you feel better, Jane
Sharon Q.
on 9/30/06 2:01 am - Fredericksburg, VA
I am a big believer in Sudafed. It's plain old nasal and sinus help. No pain stuff at all. I take it a lot to offset my allergy stuff. My pharmacy guy advised it, and he's been with me for the whole WLS process and takes a special interest in me. Gotta love that!! Hope you feel better soon girly!!! XOXOXOOXOXOXOX Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/06 8:19 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Thank you all for your help! I now have a selection of cold meds to see what works .... I know it is a cold and not allergies because my son has had it for just over a week before he has passed it to me - it is always the way - he gets something and then I get it 10 times worse! Hopefully my throat and sinuses will start to feel better soon!! Thanks again Jackie
Chyanne2u
on 9/30/06 1:23 pm - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Jackie, Right after my surgery I had a really bad runny nose and I was told by Barbara Kayes, NP to take Benadryl. It works great for the runny stuff and drainage in your throat which can cause a sore throat. Make sure you only take it at night because it does make you very sleepy. I also took the sugar free tussin for my cough. I am starting with that stuff again and I am thinking it's the change in the season. It always happens then. Could it be sinus or allergies, yep sure could. You may want to check with you doctor before taking anything. That's always the best advice. Sure hope to get to feeling better soon. Lots of Love Kathy
fishtayl
on 10/1/06 11:10 pm - Bealeton, VA
good old plain red Sudafed is my friend during the cold/allergy times
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views