I made it.

VABuckeye
on 9/29/06 11:02 pm - Suffolk, VA
Well, made it home yesterday. Very tired. I really didn't get good sleep in the hospital. So, I slept a lot yesterday in the recliner. The surgery went really well doc said. Even got to keep my gall bladder ! The problem I have is my calves are so tight. They really were hurting in the hospital. They did a check to make sure I didn't have a clot, and nothing there. I tried eating the scrambled egg yesterday morning before I left the hospital. Blechh! So, I really haven't had anything solid to eat yet, am going to try to get some tuna down today. Also, have to work on getting water/fluids in. Yesterday I barely drank a bottle of water. Today I'm mixing up some crystal light and hopefully that will make it easier. Slept in my bed last night and my legs felt better this morning but still cramped. I want to thank everyone for your prayers and words of encouragement. It really helps a lot.
Christine Hood
on 9/29/06 11:14 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Congrats Troy! I had the same problem with my calves. Try mixing orange juice with water 50/50. Drink that a few times and within a day or so you will feel a huge difference. Just make sure it is 100% juice (tropicana in the refrigerator section). It has something to do with the potassium...In the hospital you have potassium in the IV so once that comes out you end up a little low. Hope that helps and welcome to the other side! Christine
Christine Hood
on 9/29/06 11:14 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Congrats Troy! I had the same problem with my calves. Try mixing orange juice with water 50/50. Drink that a few times and within a day or so you will feel a huge difference. Just make sure it is 100% juice (tropicana in the refrigerator section). It has something to do with the potassium...In the hospital you have potassium in the IV so once that comes out you end up a little low. Hope that helps and welcome to the other side! Christine
Jane M.
on 9/29/06 11:47 pm - Williamsburg, VA
Welcome to the other side Troy! I'm glad that things went well for you. It's really a little early for scrambled eggs but I will tell you that if you tried poached eggs, they seem to go down better when your early out. It took me almost year before I could eat them scrambled. I know some docs don't like us to use straws, but that was the only way I culd get enough fluids in. I just made sure I didn't gulp alot of air whn I was drinking. Also try SF popsicles. They are a great way to get fluids in. Take Care, Jane
Anna Bryant
on 9/30/06 12:20 am - Roanoke, VA
Wooohoooo that is so awesome Troy. Congratultions!! Anna
Robin C.
on 9/30/06 12:46 am - Norfolk, VA
Congrats, Troy! It must feel really great to know that you are on the losing side. Sorry to hear about the calf cramps. I echo Christine with the OJ - the Potassium definitely will help. If you are allowed - try some banana- they are very high in potassium. Also if you feel up to it, you could try some calve stretches. I stand on my bottom step with only the balls of my feet on the step, with the rest of my foot hanging off, and lower myself down slowly (holding onto the walls or railing for stability****il I feel a good stretch in my calves. Hold it as long as you can and do it several times each day. I hope that helps helps! Good luck to you! RockinRobin
Sharon Q.
on 9/30/06 2:05 am - Fredericksburg, VA
YEAH TROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the losers side!!! For the calve pain our nutritionist told us to drink V8 juice. Less sugar than OJ, and plenty of potassium, which I agree is most likely causing the pain. She even told us to keep some beside our beds for the night time cramping. Hope this is helpful..............again congrats!! XOXOXOOX Sharon
A10sFrau
on 9/30/06 7:19 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hello Troy, you BIG LOSER! I agree on the a little early for eggs. There are many days my stomach (via my nose) says 'NO egg". Also, I can only eat eggs alone--not in salad or tuna salad anymore. Go with what your stomach tells you. I am guessing your doctor is 'no protein supplement' type, otherwise you wouldn't be trying these foods so early. Get those fluids in! Force yourself to get in sips every so many minutes. Think of it as medicine you HAVE to have. And, Enjoy the ride!! Lois
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/06 12:14 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Congratulations Troy!! Welcome to the losing side. It might be too soon for you to be trying eggs right now - I eat them a lot but did not try them for a couple of weeks at least. Maybe some yoghurt may taste better - also if you were taking some protein shakes you may feel stronger. Seriously though - it is hard to eat and drink what you need to in the first few days after surgery - you just need to build up to it. I think your cramping is a lask of potassium either take the potassium supplement which might help or part of a banana or some V8. Good luck with getting comfortable - I promise it gets better every day..... Jackie
Amber B.
on 10/1/06 11:38 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey, Troy. Glad to see you made it out okay. I wasn't able to eat solids before leaving the hospital either. I pretty much ate yogurt for a few days when I got home. I had a lot of gas pain. My legs recently started cramping while I was sleeping so I did some research. They say its mostly because of a lack in potassium, calcium, and salt (dehydration). So I've added a little banana to my diet, eating more calcium chewables, and adding salt to my food that I normally dont. Gotta drink more water! It has helped tremendously!!!! Congrats, things will get better every day! Amber
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views