Insurance concern

Jennifer P.
on 9/18/06 7:00 am - Toano, VA
I am concerned that after I wait until January for employer to add an obesity rider to cover WLS than I am going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get approved. I know I need to be patient but I want surgery tomorrow!!!! What were others experiences with getting approval? Thanks, JENN
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/06 7:07 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Jenn, My insurance approval was very easy . But I can tell you that I have mentored many that have had to wait months .. some even a year . I want to say to you this .. if you want it bad enough .. what are you willing to do ? Some do have to wait .. but what I want you to do is get ready to fight if you have to . You may not .. it may go really smooth for you . But if this is what you truly want .. you will do what ever the insurance tells you to do .. 6 month diet .... test .. more test .. what ever it takes you may need to do .. As for me .. I would have walked a thousand miles .. dug ditches .. what ever they asked to get this surgery , as it has saved my life .. All I can tell you is be ready to do what they want .. and I truly hope that your insurance experience is one of ease and quick approval . And if it is not .. you have us here on the boards to come to --- to vent to .. and to just pass the time with .. Best wishes to you !!! Natalie
Jennifer P.
on 9/18/06 1:37 pm - Toano, VA
One thing I have is determination I could use some help in the patience department. I am ready to go the mattresses if I need to. I know I have God on my side and it is in his time and it is his will. It is just so hard to leave it in his hands and not take it back. Thanks, JENN
Cinderellen
on 9/18/06 7:28 am - Winterville, NC
Hi Jenn. I am still preop, trying to qualify a second time (We moved to NC right after I qualified the first time in VA, and had to start again.). Anyway, I'm nearly done now, just this month left, I think. My thought is this. Most, but not all, insurance companies require a doctor supervised diet, usually 6 months, sometimes a year. I would see if you could go ahead and get started seeing your doc for weigh ins once a month. If you did, you'd at least have 3 months under your belt. If it turns out you didn't need it, you're probably not any worse off for havng gone, right? Also, you could probably call the insurance and find out what their requirements are for the surgery. At least that way, you'd know what you're up against. Just some thoughts. Take care and keep us posted. ~Ellen
Jennifer P.
on 9/18/06 1:30 pm - Toano, VA
Ellen, Thank you for your response great minds think alike. I have already started going to be weighed so counting January I will have five months. I also called my insurance and they read what the requirements are and it is hard to understand their lingo so she is also mailing me a copy. Thank you for your support. Jenn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views