One year ago today!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 3:50 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Today is my one year surgery anniversary!! Everyday is a blessing to me and I can never forget the wonderful opportunity I have to make my life better through this wonderful surgery. Has it been easy -- no, not in the least. I struggle everyday with eating the right things (or not and then puking!), grazing, getting in water, exercising, vitamins -- but would I do it again - in a New York minute!! I never have doubted this decision, and as I've said my only regret is I couldn't do it sooner. Today I weight 159-160 (159 if I hold onto the wall and let one leg get on the scale at a time -- does that count!!), I wear a 10 pants, and probably could do a medium top but am too chicken so stick to a large. Which, ladies and gents, in my book of success, this is wonderful!! Am I proud of myself -- oh yeah! Big time. Am I smug about it - heck no. I know that this isn't the silver bullet and that I need to always be aware of what I do. It's funny, before surgery there was no way I would tell anyone what I weighed - no way. I remember when I had my hysterectomy some years ago and as I was being wheeled in, the doctor (I guess the anesthelogist) asked me what I weighed, well Greg was with me and he of course didn't know and I didn't want him to know so I made the numbers with my fingers -- 2, 4, 5. Did he see - yeah, probably, but he is such a gentleman he never mentioned it. Anyway, I used to not tell anyone, now, it''s almost part of my introduction, 'Hi, I'm donna, and I used to weigh 289 before I had wls!!' That's funny, are you all like that! Today is such a reflective day for me. I don't know if anyone else, other than you guys of course, realize just how important the day is. I've told Greg several times, my daughters, my mom, but I don't think they really know what it means to me. That's okay, it's my special day, and I am basking in the glory of thus far, being as successful as I can be. I know I still have lots of work ahead of me, I need to be more diligent on exercise, I need to stop grazing, I need to ... oh so many things. But on the other hand I am good on protein, I am good on vitamins, I am good on water, I do try on exercise, I am not eating after 8:00, oh, and here's the biggie, I feel like I do deserve this and, hang on, I LIVE MYSELF AND THE WAY I LOOK!! I've worked hard. Yes, it was a gift, but not without work on my part. Today, for my one year anniversary, I was looking forward to walking with the Walk from Obesity here in NOVA. Well a little over a month ago my best friend died of cancer. It was and continues to be a real loss for me. Last night her husband called and said that it is the Greek tradition to have a service after so many days (I forget now what he said) and it was going to be today at 9:30 and it was just for family but that they wanted me to be there. So, did I hesitate -- not for a minute. I can walk next year, but to be able to show my love and respect for my friend is something I can't do that often anymore. It seemed fitting for me to do this on my anniversary. Vivian was so happy for me and supportive of me in my journey. But it made me realize how precious our health is, our important it is to take care of ourselves and even then we aren't protected from everything. But life is precious and I appreciate the life I now have. I apologize for rambling - I know I am. But I just have a lot of feelings right now and no one really to share them with but you all. Love you all and the support you give me!! (Here comes the Oscar speech!!) Thank you to all of you on this wonderful board. We are successful because we have each other. Love you all!! love donna
Stacey D.
on 9/16/06 4:35 am - Harrisonburg, VA
Donna, You have are just amazing! I am so very proud of you, and so blessed to have met you and we get to all share our stories. And you are exactly right, no one but those who have lived in our shoes understand! Welcome to world of happiness! GOD Bless, Stacey
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 10:16 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Stacy, thank you very much. I feel lucky that I met you, too!! And I liked your pictures!! Va va va voom!!! love donna
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 11:56 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Congrats sweet lady -- love you bunches and can't wait to hug you, up close and in person, SOON!!! Just got home from a cookout with the gal's - stuffed fulla' healthy food choices, lazy and ready for bed. Yah yah, party animal that I am - actually up till (gasp) almost 10:00 on a weekend night. Enjoy ALL your special moments, they're well deserved. Love you - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/06 2:06 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Lei, thanks for your message. I too look forward to seeing you soon!! Guess what - I have to have knee replacement on 10/2!! So I need to do some good wallking before hand and get strong. I'll be in touch! love donna
J A.
on 9/16/06 4:51 am - Southwest, VA
Congratulations, my friend. You have done wonderfully well and I am so proud of you.
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/06 10:17 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Thanks Jan, and how are you doing??? And when are we going to get together!!! love donna
J A.
on 9/16/06 2:13 pm - Southwest, VA
As soon as I can get to NOVA again. It's hard to leave my Mom right now because of her health problems. Me? I feel great. The weight is moving oh so slowly, but I knew that. I do get impatient though.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/06 2:07 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Jan - just relax and enjoy the process -- it will happen!! Let me know when you get in the area!! love donna
Sharon Q.
on 9/16/06 5:20 am - Fredericksburg, VA
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, that was a beautiful speech!!!! I know how awesome it is to get your life back, and I agree with every point you made!!! You have done wonderful, and YES, you worked your butt off for it, and deserve all the rewards that come with that work!!!! We all love you 2, and look forward to many more events when we can all be together!!!!!!!!!!!! By The Way,,,,,,,,,,,,it's my son's 12th birthday today!!! You were reborn on such a GREAT DAY!!!!! LOVE YOU GIRLY!!!!!!!!!! Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views