Dessert for 8?

Christina R.
on 9/10/06 4:04 am - Reston, VA
Hi all- I'm in charge of bringing a dessert for a dinner that my husband and I are going to soon. Everyone else is non-WLS so I need something that they will all enjoy, yet I can still have a little bit too. Any resourses or recipes you can offer? Christina S
Kathy & Rich
on 9/10/06 4:44 am - Fairfax, VA
What about something like this? http://www.recipezaar.com/108162 No added sugar. Just natural sweetness from the fruit. The reviews make it sound good. You could bring some vanilla ice cream for the non-WLS folks to go with it? Or whipped topping? Reduced sugar cool whip? Kathy
Kathy & Rich
on 9/10/06 4:51 am - Fairfax, VA
Here is also a no sugar added (no artificial sweetener either) apple pie. http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/BestApplePie.asp Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/06 5:41 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Christina, I thought this one sounded good! I can't wait to make it. See you tomorrow night? love donna SPLENDA® Pumpkin Cheesecake Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 55 Minutes Ready In: 5 Hours 15 Minutes Yields: 20 servings "Try this lighter version of a pumpkin cheesecake and you will be able to eat even more!" INGREDIENTS: Crust 1 cup graham cracker crumbs 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular 1/3 cup light butter, melted Filling 3 (8 ounce) packages fat free cream cheese 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced fat cream cheese 1 1/2 cups SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger 1 pinch ground cloves 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree 1/4 cup fat free half-and-half 1/2 cup egg beaters® 1 tablespoon vanilla Topping 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream 1/2 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 drops maple flavor DIRECTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray. Set aside. 2. Mix crust ingredients together and firmly press onto bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Cool. 3. Blend together cream cheese, SPLENDA® Granular, flour and spices on medium speed in an electric mixer until cream cheese is smooth and lump free. Scrape sides of bowl. Add pumpkin. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Scrape sides of bowl and mix until mixture is smooth and lump-free. 4. Turn mixer on low and slowly add half-and-half, Egg Beaters® and vanilla. Blend until well mixed. 5. Pour over prepared crust. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 50-60 minutes or until center is slightly firm. Remove from oven and cool. 6. Prepare topping. Blend all ingredients together in a small bowl until well mixed. Pour on top of cheesecake and spread evenly. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 20-25 minutes on a wire rack. Chill 4- 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. This, like all cheesecakes, is best if prepared a day in advance.
Ernurse323
on 9/10/06 6:26 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Oh Man Donna !!!! Thanks !! I cant wait to make this !!! Smooooooooooooooooooooches, Dana
(deactivated member)
on 9/10/06 6:43 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Dana, I haven't tried it either but it will be on my Thanksgiving table!! I hear it totally yummy and okay for us (in small doses of course) to eat. I got it from another wls patient! love donna
aryqa
on 9/10/06 11:57 am - Virginia Beach, VA
mmmm....This sounds great! I was also going to suggest SF cheesecake, but I don't have a recipe. My first rule for bringing food to share is always the same, though - Make a test batch first if it is a new recipe!
Ms Court
on 9/11/06 12:12 am - Remington, VA
Here is the recipe that for SF Cheese Cake that Sally made for our support group. I have made it for a couple of different things & it has been a hit. Courtney Creamy Cheesecake This recipe can be made with sugar or Splenda. The measurements are the same. Crust: 2 packages of graham crackers, crushed 1 stick of margarine, melted 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 1/4 cup of sugar or Splenda Mix ingredients and pat into a 10" springform pan, bottom and sides. Chill for an hour. You may substitute graham crackers with vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers, or zwieback. Crushed nuts and toasted coconut are tasty additions also. Filling: 3 Eight ounce packages of light cream cheese (Neufachtel), room temperature. Place the cream cheese in a bowl and beat until fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat 4 egg whites untils stiff, gradually adding 1 cup of sugar or Splenda and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Add egg white mixture to the cream cheese mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth. Pour into the prepared crust and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let stand for 15 minutes. Topping: Combine 1 pint of low-fat sour cram, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 6 tablespoons of sugar or Splenda. Pour over the top of the cheesecake and bake for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Let the cheesecake cool at room temperature, then refrigerate overnnight for best results. I top the cheesecake with fresh fruit, but plain is fine. I also lightly sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top of the cheesecake before putting on the sour cream topping. Think of your own fun variations. Bon Appetit! Calories = 260 for 1/10 of the cheesecake if made with Splenda.
Amber B.
on 9/11/06 6:59 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I get most of my receipes from Splenda.com or Kraftfoods.com (I just substitute sugar with spenda and everywhere I can shortcut). Kraft also lets you set up a profile and save your desserts. I also have this book for desserts and snacks for diabetic children, it's PERFECT. If you can find it, buy it. Hope that helps. Amber
TammyNVA
on 9/11/06 8:39 pm - Chesterfield, VA
We went to a church picnic this past Sunday and I brought Banana Pudding... you know, the kind with Nilla wafers. I used: 2 boxes sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix skim milk low-fat Nilla wafers bananas Lite Cool Whip Mix up the pudding mix as directed. Start off in a 1 1/2 qt clear glass casserole dish with about 1/2cup of the pudding; cover the bottom with wafers. Spoon in 2/3 c of the pudding, slice a banana, and wafers around the sides and across the top. Layer 3 more times and chill. Just before serving, top with Lite Cool Whip. This was a HIT, and I did label it on the table so that people would know it was ALMOST fat free and ALMOST sugar free! Have fun ... and ENJOY! Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views