3day stay turned into 10

jkfullerva
on 9/9/06 10:21 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I finally got home yesterday after a long 10 day stay. I appreciate all the prayers and support they were felt and needed. I had Lap RNY Aug. 30th at Portsmouth Naval. During the surgery my doc noticed some bubbles on the first leak test and went back and did 3 more sutures but told my husband he would be going with me to my "swallow test" the next am. True to his word he was right beside me and the test didn't show any leaks I started having extreme pain within hours and had a rock hard distended ab. It felt like a charlie horse right below my breastbone. They put me back on pain pump and tried other drugs and the pain did not subside, doc was ready to go back in and decided to do one more swallow study about 1am He held my hand during this one. He is awesome. They still didn't see a leak but did see esophigial spasms. I was hurting so bad I couldn't function so the doc. decided to keep me NPO (nothing by mouth) for a full 7 days to allow me to heal he was afraid of a micro leak. Anyway we did another set of x-rays no barium because he saw some white stuff in my jp drain and was thinking I was leaking. I had to have a central IV line put in and spent 7 days on TPN the only thing in my mouth was a toothbrush. This was all during that charming Ernesto storm which had half the town flooded I was alone at the hospital because hubby got stuck at home when he went home for a couple of hours of sleep. My doc stayed at the hospital 24/7 til he was satisfied I didn't have to have more surgery he was also trapped by the storm Once the pain got under control I didn't care if I ever ate again. They pulled my jp drain thurs. and he saw blood clots and I had lower right side pain so off we go to CT scan to check for absess or appendicitis. They saw a little fluid around the stomach remnant but not enought to drain and I was on enough antibiotics to kill anything so they let me proceed to stage 2 and 3 and finally let me come home yesterday. I was doing fine til I fell in the shower. Now I am even more bruised. Pouch is still tender but I am keeping most stuff down. I feel like I am coming out of a fog so bear with me if this isn't real clear.
A10sFrau
on 9/9/06 10:44 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
You are perfectly clear. I am sorry to hear of your complications. Make sure you get plenty of nutrition and rest. Godspeed in your recovery! Lois
Mojodiva
on 9/9/06 1:29 pm - FPO, Japan
I'm so sorry you had such a horrid time of it. I was very impressed with the surgeons at PNH, although I ended up going with Standard and a differant doctor, and Im even more proud of them hearing about how yours stuck around to check on you. Take really good care of yourself and let us know how you are doing!
joyjoy757
on 9/9/06 10:02 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Jenny! Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time, but they took care of you. How are you feeling now? Hang in there! I'm new to this board and I have my orientation at PNS this coming Thurs. I have an appt. in the morning at Bariatric surgery and then the orientation in the afternoon. I'm nervous and don't know what to expect, really. It's all kinda coming to the surface quickly. I just saw Internal medicine 2 weeks ago and two weeks later the orientation. I've been told, though, that the 'waiting list' is 2-3 years long? I guess I'll learn more on Thursday. I've been reading up all I can and having chats with those I know who have already had the surgery and am learing alot about the surgery and about PNS. I haven't heard much bad of anything except that the privacy could be better. What did you think? Do you know of any support groups in this area? I could use one! Email me if you get a chance! I live in VaBch also - the Arrowhead section. Thanks and I hope you're recovery is going very smoothly! Joy
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/06 11:01 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Gosh Jenny I am so sorry that you had such a hard time - how awful! Your doctor sounds very supportive though which is incredible as many of them would not stick around.... You need to remember to take it very easy right now. Soon this will be hehind you - hopefully - and you can get on with the job of losing weight and growing stronger......... Hang in there! Jackie
Robin C.
on 9/10/06 3:40 am - Norfolk, VA
HI Jenny, I am so sorry that you had such a rough go of it in the hospital. It sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon though. Please take care of yourself and be sure to rest planty and getin plenty of nutrition so that you will heal properly. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Best Wishes, RockinRobin
Anna Bryant
on 9/10/06 5:16 am - Roanoke, VA
Jenny, I am so sorry you had such a rough time after surgery. Sounds like you had a great doc though. Glad you are home. Take care of yourself!! Anna
Kennie29
on 9/10/06 11:19 am - Chesapeake, VA
May God be with you during your time and you have a speedy recovery!! Take care, Kennie
** Judy **
on 9/11/06 7:34 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Jenny -- I am thrilled you are home! I am so sorry about your complications. It sounds like you may have turned a corner and things will be getting better. I can almost promise you that by Christmas you be glad -- glad -- glad -- you decided on the surgery!! I have been praying for you -- God is in control and WILL take care of you!! Judy 280/158/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views