Poll: Stupid things people say after you've had WLS

Kathy & Rich
on 9/6/06 7:42 am - Fairfax, VA
If I ate like that, I'd be as big as a house. (I was eating shredded chicken w/ a bit of melted cheese on top) Couldn't you lose it the regular way? You eat more than I do. But you eat healthy. (This was my sister... ROFL.) You look gaunt. But gaunt is a good thing. (This was a friend of my sisters that got kicked out of Weigh****chers for dropping to too low a weight) Add on folks!
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/06 9:56 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
How about? "I never thought you were fat - I just thought you were big boned!!!!!"(and I weighed 256lbs) Or my mother in law - "I give you kudos for sticking to this diet" It doesn't matter how many times I have told her I can't physically eat that huge plate of spaghetti and that large piece of chocolate cake!! People just don't get it...... Jackie
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/06 11:02 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Okay, I'll play (by the way, that is so cool how your picture changes!!) You're going to look old if you lose any more weight (a 'good' friend of mine who has always been thinner than me and now isn't!! -- oh, guess what Karen, I am old, just the same age as you honey!!!) I couldn't have THAT surgery because I just wouldn't do anything harmful llike that to my body (the lady at Safeway who easily weighs 300 lbs! -- no, don't do anything harmful like a surgery that will save your life!!) What fun is life if you can't go to a buffet and pig out (my mom's friend that I saw in San Diego a few weeks ago who is very overweight, ha ha -- what fun is life indeed!! How long do you have June, and I'll tell you what fun is life!!). But one of the BEST things!! Wow, Grandma you look hot!! (from my 17 year old grandson!! Thank you Calvin!) love donna
cpatters
on 9/6/06 11:33 am - Rockingham County, VA
I have a good one. I cant tell you how many times average weight people, (skiinny people to me) have told me that they would LOVE to have gastric bypass to loose weight. It is the most stupid thing that people say! Do they think that I woke up one day and said... oh gee, lets see, I think I want to got through a life altering, life risking surgery to loose a couple of pounds?????? ARGHHHH!!!!!! People make me want to scream sometimes. CP
Robin C.
on 9/6/06 11:39 am - Norfolk, VA
I am still preop, but this is what I have heard so far: "I couldn't let someone cut out my innerds." My cousin who had a breast reduction right out of college said this. She is the same one who constantly talks about wanting to get her eyes done, have a little liposuction, get a hysterectomy so that she doesn't have to worry about getting pregnant. The list continues.... "Don't get the surgery - just go out for a run everyday and eat less" - A friend said this today. Well, if I could run, I probably would not be waiting so impatiently to have the surgery. And duh, if I could eat less on my own, don't ya think I would ??? "Give Weigh****chers another try. You can do it this time!" My mother said this. So I asked her if she ever read the fine print on one of those Weigh****chers ads that say something like - I lost 85 pounds, and it was easy, and I ate all the food that I enjoy. The fine print after the asterisk says, "RESULTS NOT TYPICAL." Need I say more!!! "Oh - I couldn't do that, I couldn't stand the thought of possibly losing my hair." Well, I have very thick hair, and if I lose a little of it as I shed 100 pounds of fat - I think I can live with it. "Aren't you afraid that you'll get wrinkles?" Aren't we all? That what plastic surgeons are for. Besides I'll take a few wrinkles over my rolls of fat anyday! The list goes on and on and on.... RockinRobin
heatherevond
on 9/6/06 12:04 pm - Madison, AL
You look like olive oil (from Popeye). Have you eaten yet? Make sure she eats. (I hate having people watch every food product that hits my lips.). When are you going to stop losing weight? You don't understand what it's like to be fat anymore!
jilldennis
on 9/6/06 12:30 pm - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Hi, Kathy How do you make your picture change like that? That's cool!!! My sister - "You don't really want to be as small as you were in high school do you? You're a lot older now - I just don't want you to look sickly." - she is shorter and wider than me and for once in my life I have something she doesn't and she can't stand it!!! And yes - I am now 25 years older than I was when I graduated from high school and I don't look sickly at all - my granddaughter (7 years old) told me I was the young Grandma and I was a hottie with a cute patootie!! My mom said she didn't like get hand me downs from me...but it was okay when she was giving clothes to me. She said that I needed to dress my age and not like my 20 year old daughter. I only dress in her stuff when she has clean jeans and I don't !!! Hey - we both wear a size 3 so why not!! I LOVE IT!! Thanks Kathy - this was great! Hugs Jill
Christine Hood
on 9/6/06 5:29 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
OK Kathy! I am wide awake at 3:30am...thanks for giving me something to do Here's one..."You're not going to get as skinny as_______ (insert name of other WLS girl at work who by the way looks great as far as I am concerned) Just today a girl had asked me what I was doing to lose weight. I told her that I had WLS 3 months ago...we laughed because she said that she couldn't figure out how I did it because I was always at work (I only took 2 weeks off and I think she was on vacation for one of them) Anyway, she then says, "I need to do that..." So I explained to her that she needed to be at least close to 100 pounds over weight...we talked about insurance,etc and then she said, "Do you think they would do it on me...I only need to lose maybe 50 pounds max." Another girl (who is obviously not even 30 pounds over weight) then chimes in with "I need to go get me some surgery too!" Like it's as easy as running to the store and grabbing some milk! Have a great day! Christine
fishtayl
on 9/7/06 8:51 am - Bealeton, VA
OK.. Just yesterday a 300 pound plus man said to me, in a very heavy country accent, at Physical Therapy, in the hospital pool,...'Cutting your stomach don't fix your mind'..... And how horrible....I get the once over 'top of your head to your toes look' then the person says "You're not going to loose any more are you?" With a disgusted look on their face : "I thought you were sick"
ebayer76
on 9/7/06 9:54 am - Richmond, VA
Hmm, let's see. Don't you miss eating? umm when you get to your goal weight i guess you will have to eat more so you don't get too thin! ugh well i can't eat that much and i think your body will only let you get down to a certain weight. I was 240 when i had surgery. So i am already getting the oh your going to get too thin. Who cares,i did this to lose weight not to get to my goal weight and start pigging out again. People are just so stupid. that is why i did not want anyone to know about this surgery and of course no one can keep their big fat mouths shut! it was personal and that was the way i wanted it. IDIOTS!!! Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views