New To Site!

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/06 12:57 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
It is great that you have your Mom on your side as support..... I don't deal with pain well either but I promise it is not that bad and the pain medication really helps. Thank you for the compliments! I am sure you are beautiful too! Stay in touch!
A10sFrau
on 8/19/06 10:16 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Everyone on this site has felt the way you feel about your weight. I was not obese as a teen and young adult, but ended up that way by age 45 (morbidly obese). Doesn't matter when, fat is fat. I ran to the store a few minutes ago and grabbed one of my daughter's t-shirts. I checked the size when I got home--SMALL!!, albeit a men's small. Any questions you have can be answered here and you will find all the support you need. Weekends are sometimes dead, so you might have to wait for a response. Don't think you are being ignored. Lois
RBALSER
on 8/19/06 8:40 pm
Thanks so much for the advice but congrats on you, wow! So is there anything you would do differantly that maybe I should consider? Anything you wish you would have know before it happened? Im just scared something unexpected might happen! Thanks so much for the information! Keep In Touch! Thanks, Becka :angel:
A10sFrau
on 8/20/06 9:14 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Put yourself on the bariatric diet now. I did and lost 34 pounds before surgery. One thing I have noticed about some WLS folks is that as soon as they have surgery they start to complain about not tolerating protein supplements, inability to take vitamins, etc. etc... Start now. Get yourself on the regimen. Break that sugar habit! Show doctors how determined you are to have this surgery. I was SO glad I had broken those addictions prior to my surgery. Lois
Patience
on 8/21/06 9:57 pm - Lancaster, VA
Hey Lois, when you talk about a Bariatric diet, is there a specific one you go on, and if so, where might I find info about it. I too am just starting out. I have not decided whether to go RNY or Band yet, but I think your advice about breaking the sugar/carbo addiction before surgery is VERY good idea! It certainly makes sense. Why try to go through detox and adjusting to surgery at the same time. At least you would have one thing out of the way. Thanks much! Leigh
A10sFrau
on 8/22/06 10:07 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
1.) Eliminate sugar from your diet. I went on Crystal Lite, tea with Splenda, diet soft drinks and ice water. 2.) Eat a minimum of 50 grams of protein a day. I was never much of a meat eater, so I started with Matrix protein shakes. Now I use the Nectar protein drinks because they have fewer calories. Be cautious of the fat content of your meats. 3.) Eat between 1000-1500 cal/day pre surgery. Post surgery you will of course eat way fewer than 1000/day. 4.) Eliminate these products: breads, pasta, rice, noodles, baked goods, potatoes. 5.) Start walking. 6.) Drink at least 64 oz of fluid daily. 7.) For sweets try sugar free jello, pudding and popsicles. I LOVE no sugar added fudgesicles. 8.) Be careful of nuts, more than 1/4 cup is too much per day (too much fat). 9.) As Nat loves to say: Protein First! Sip Water Always! 10.) Make your carbs good ones: greens, tomatoes, carrots, fruits, e.g. Others will have more suggestions I am sure. I only had a taste og white bread, hot dog bun, TODAY for the first time since surgery. I do eat Dimpflmeier's Vollkornbrot (whole kernel rye bread), 1/2 piece at a time. Muc of my protein, after the drinks, comes from cottage cheese and yogurt ALSO protein bars which I love. Good luck, Lois
Amber B.
on 8/20/06 10:25 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Becka! I just turned 30 and I had the surgery just a couple of weeks before my birthday. Our stories are very similar, I've been heavy for quite some time. I weighed 300 lbs and I'm almost 6 feet tall. I was wearing 22/24 tops and 24/26 pants. I'm doing really well and I think its one of the best decisions I ever made. It's not easy by any means, you should hit up as many seminars/support groups as you can. My doctors are definitely the best, and you can catch them online at tidewatersurgical.com or through http://bonsecourshamptonroads.com/bariatrics/faq_life.html They have support groups every 2nd Thursday of the month, I can't remember when there seminars are, but I can find out. They are located in Suffolk, VA. They definitely know their stuff. I have tons of info to share and I hope you stick around and take in as much as you can, these people can save your life, literally! Amber Feel free to email or check out my MySpace!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views