Depressed...Normal? or Something More?

Christina R.
on 8/14/06 1:58 am - Reston, VA
OK folks...here's the deal... The past few days I've been slipping into a depression. Things at home have been rough again () but it's really hitting me harder than normal. I have become a blob on the couch mindlessly watching tv. I forget to take my vitamins until very late in the evening, so I don't get all my calcium (since I know it can't be absorbed if I take it all at once). This morning I didn't want to get out of bed, but I did because I know I have too, but I still sit here in my jammies at nearly noon. I know I should take better care of my newly post-op body, exercise would probably help, but honestly I have no motivation...I don't care. I cried myself to sleep last night...I've not done that for a really, really long time. I thought yesterday...who cares if I don't get all my vitamins...no one would care if I weren't around. I know how pathetic that sounds, but can't seem to shake it. SO...are my horomones playing nasty tricks on me (had my cycle last week too) or is there more going on? I'm doing better today getting my vitamins, protein and liquids in but still feel like a blob. I'm hoping to make it to the Staple Club tonight, but at this point know it will take some major effort to get myself there. Trying to snap out of it... Christina S
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/06 2:29 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Christina , Sweety I wish I could reach thru and give you a big hug. Sometimes after surgery our hormones get really messesd up . Our hormones where stored in our fat and with you loosing weight they tend to get off and sometimes need to be looked at by your doc . I want to say this to you with all the love in the world . PLEASE take your vitamins . This is no joke . Your life is worth it .. and believe me please when I tell you that it does not take long for you to deplete - get sick and die . It is no joke .. we must have these to survive .. and you are worth so much . No matter how bad things seem ... there is always room to change and to grow .. and to live and with out the vitamins .. you will surely leave this planet .. and I know you truly do not want to do this .. and you do matter .. you are a piece of this great big human puzzle and you matter .. I would suggest that you imediatly get to your surgeon or your PCP to see what is going on with you . It is ok to be depressed .. we all go there .. and with all the changes your body is going thru it will not hurt to have them evaluated . We need you around . Please if you need to talk call me -- or email me for my # I will gladly talk to you . Many hugs and love , Natalie
Kathy & Rich
on 8/14/06 2:51 am - Fairfax, VA
Christina, What you are going through isn't unusual at all. Hormones play ugly tricks on us. Fat stores estrogen. Rapid weight loss frees it and it plays havoc with our systems and emotions. I'm with Nat. Please do not take your vitamins for granted. They are very, very important. Scarily, deficiencies can occur much faster than you think and the ramifications can be drastic and devistating. So, please... take your vitamins Come to the meeting tonight. It'll be good to be around others that understand. Do what you can get pry yourself out of the house. I know it isn't easy when you aren't feeling well but you'll be glad you did afterwards. Hugs, Kathy
Ms Court
on 8/14/06 4:11 am - Remington, VA
Christina, you are definitely normal. Here is how it was explained to me. For every fat cell that we lose, the hormones in that cell are released into our bodies definitely causing hormone overload. The first few months are so hard because of this and the mood swings. Please work hard at your vitamins. You will definitely feel worse if you are depressed & felling crappy becuase of low vitamin levels on top of it. Exercise helps to release a natural endorphin into you body that might help conteract some of the moodiness. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. I hope to see you tonight. Courtney
Amber B.
on 8/14/06 4:19 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Wow, I'm glad you posted this. I'm not alone and we got a lot of answers. Damn hormones. It doesn't help its that time of the month either. I hope you feel better soon. Try and get some air outside, I know that sunshine and just being outside helps with depression a lot. Believe me, if I didn't have to work, my ass would be sitting on the couch right now. Ugh.
Michele R.
on 8/14/06 5:19 am - Pittsfield, MA
Awww Christina...I am so sorry you are going through this. I too am feeling the wrath of the blues. I think it might have a lot to do with my divorce starting though. Chin up honey and no matter what try to get outside for a bit of fresh air. Hugs! Shele
A10sFrau
on 8/14/06 6:58 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Christina, I want to echo what Tammy posted: you MUST get up and walk. I worked for several years in a mental health facility and one of the FIRST things depressed folks are assigned to is the group that goes outside and walks. Walking should be your medicine, just like your vitamins and protein. Force yourself to just walk outside to the street, then down the street then around the block.Accomlish this in increments, whatever you need to do but DO IT! This is vital for you and your physical and mental well-being. Love, Lois (Yes, and DO go see your PCP or mental health professional. You must rely on yourself for this).
Christina R.
on 8/14/06 11:42 pm - Reston, VA
Thank you to everyone that responded. Today is a bit better. Thanks to Courtney and Kathy for being so kind at the Staple Club last night. It did help getting out and out of my own head for a few hours. I'm promising now to all of you that I will do my best to stay on top of my vitamins and protein. I also am going to do better about getting out and moving some. I also have a check-up appt. with Dr. Anez's office today and will ask them if there is anything I should be concerned about regarding my moods. It certainly helped to know that I wasn't going completely crazy that my horomones were working against me....somehow makes it easier to fight. Anyway, thanks again.....your support means the world to me. Christina S
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views