True Hunger vs. Head Hunger?

Christina R.
on 8/3/06 5:08 am - Reston, VA
Hello! I'm 2 weeks out and I'm starting to have the desire to munch. Is this my body telling me that it's not getting what it needs or my head playing games with me? I'm doing pretty good with my liquids, eating my 2oz meals 3 times a day with lots and lots of protein in them (I'm still on pureed!). My vitamins are going well for the most part ****ep forgetting that third calcium at bedtime). I've been getting in at least one protein shake a day...still trying to work towards the second one, but giving myself some grace. BUT...I still get a munchie feeling.....about 1-1.5 hours after I eat. I mostly crave bread-type items. Am I concentrating so much on my protein that my body needs some carbs or is this just by body getting used to not having carbs as much (I was a confessed carb-o-holic)? Any thoughts/advice? So far I'm resisting by drinking more liquids, but it's getting a bit harder. Christina S
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/06 5:32 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Right now you are going thru head hunger . And it can be pretty hard sometimes to combat . The best thing to do is .. when it hits .. get up and get moving , try eating on protein items .. or drink some more fluids . You will begin to retrain your mind as time goes on . The mind has been so used to fueling up by giving you these cravings . You have to be the one to take control and beat the munchies . Please realize that while you need to keep your protien up .. you do need some carbs . Not saying you go out and eat a bag of chips , but just make sure you are getting atleast 30 grams of carbs per day . While this sounds low , it is really easy to do this early out . Sounds like to me you are realizing it is happening and that is a good thing .. just keep positive and focused and you can beat it . Many hugs, Natalie
Ms Court
on 8/3/06 11:34 pm - Remington, VA
Hey Christina. At that early out I was feeling real hunger. Just like you it was usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours after I ate. Although I didn't really crave anything in particular. Sally explained that it is normal, we are only eating 2 oz and it doesn't stay in long to fuel our body. That is why they stress 3 meals a day 5 hours apart with the protein shakes in between. By putting the protein shaes in between the meals it helps with that hunger and keeps your metabolism going. Because of working two jobs etc. I actually have to add in 1-2 snacks a day also. If you are eating your fruits & veggies then you shold be getting some carbs from them so you should be okay on that level. In nutrition class they said if you could wait out the craving 15 minutes and find something else to do then it was head hunger. Hope things are going well and keep up the great work. Courtney
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views