Has anyone had major stalls early out?

Lynne M.
on 7/19/06 3:56 pm - Manassas, VA
hi all, I had my surgery 10 weeks ago (today) and did well for 8 days. I then hit a 3 week stall and then lost for about 8 days. I'm now going into my 5th week of another stall. (Of the 10 weeks - 7 of them has shown no weight loss) So far I've lost (only) 30 pounds. I am so frustrated! Any ideas? ...and, no, I don't do white flour/rice products, sugar or other wrong food choices. I stick strictly to my dr.& nutritionists recommendations! Thanks, Lynne Open RNY-proximal 235/205/135
Kathy & Rich
on 7/19/06 7:47 pm - Fairfax, VA
With 100 lbs to lose from start to goal, you are going to lose slower than someone who has more to lose. In 10 weeks, you lost just about 1/3 of the weight that you want to lose. That is amazing! I'm sure you are doing the right things. Just keep on doing that. Keep your protein intake high, keep yourself well hydrated, take your vitamins and exercise and the weight will come off. I know it is hard to be patient but this is normal. Your body has gone through alot of changes and it needs breathers. Often you will find that you lose inches when the weight isn't coming off - strange phenomenon. Hang in there! Kathy
Julie R.
on 7/20/06 12:13 am - Belspring, VA
Hey Lynne! You seem to be right on track. We actually had a similar starting weight (I started at 237) and same target weight. Even though you probably feel pretty good physically right now, you are still healing. I think that you are doing great! One question though, you didn't mention what you are doing for exercise. After 4 weeks of walking, I started back up at Curves. I was going there 4-5 days a week and then taking my dogs on a 2 mile walk on Saturday and Sunday. EVERY time I slack off on working out, my weight loss stalled. Last week I only went to water aerobics twice, skipped Curves, and walked 30 minutes each day and wouldn't you know, my weight didn't budge. That has happened a couple of times to me. Of course, as you will hear from others, stalls are normal. They are just a way for our bodies to adjust to the changes taking place. You are 30% of the way to your ultimate goal Considering people continue losing for 12-18 months, you still have plenty of time to make it to goal. It is a little discouraging watching other people dropping 7 to 10 pounds a week, but we didn't start off as heavy as many people when they begin their journey. I'm 5 months out now, down 59 pounds, and feel GREAT!!!!! When you get 4-5 months out, you probably won't feel so bad about the gradual loss. Good luck & remember that you are doing just fine!!! Best wishes! Julie 237/178/165/135 preop/current/drs goal/personal goal
laney
on 7/20/06 6:37 am - Raleigh, NC
Hi Lynne, I'm at about 6 weeks out now and have lost 25lbs. Not very fast at all. I'm not worried. I've been immobile for almost 10 years and have started PT to get moving again. I'm not doing any aerobic exercise. I hope to work up to it very soon. Once I've built up the muscles in my legs and arms to a point that I can walk for a block or so. I'm just thrilled to be losing at all. I'm following the diet very strictly, although I'm having trouble getting all the protein and calories in to be honest. That's probably slowing me down a bit, along with the exercise. I just think to myself, maybe it will give my skin a chance to rebound a bit??? I started at 258 and hope to get to be about 130. I'm 5'1". I see everyone has a Dr's goal. My Dr. Never gave me a goal. Maybe because to be honest, I'll just settle for mobile again??? ~ Laney
Julie R.
on 7/20/06 11:49 am - Belspring, VA
Hi Laney! I hope your physical therapy is going well! You are doing wonderful as well, especially considering your limited mobility. I am so excited for you and your future. Since, on average, people lose 60-70% of their excess body weight, my surgeon used 70% as his goal for me. As you pointed out, everyone needs to approach exercise based on his/her ability. Since I was relatively healthy (other than my high blood pressure & cholesterol), my surgeon told me that he wanted me to get in 45 minutes of exercise EVERY day. Honestly, I haven't been as strict about the exercise as he wanted, but it gives me something to strive for. Most people are advised to get in exercise after surgery (working their way up). In regard to protein & calories, it really is TOUGH to get it all in early on. I was having problems getting it all back at 6 weeks too. Take heart though, it gets easier as you go. I do hit stumbling blocks still (I tried sugar free cookies and now I'm addicted. I also got hooked on Goldfish crackers.), and I now have to work at not eatting the "junk". If you don't try it, you won't have to worry about getting hooked. Congratulations once again on your recent successes! I wish you all the best Julie
Christine Hood
on 7/20/06 8:41 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Hi Lynne, Tomorrow will be 7 weeks for me and I sometimes feel the same way but a very smart mermaid (LEI) reminded me early on to focus on the overall. What has been most difficult for me is that I lost 13 the first week and then have been 0-5 per week every week after. We are about 1/3 of the way to our goal and we will make it!! Keep your chin up and keep doing what you are doing...this WILL work...look at all of the proof we have all over this board! Christine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views