Packing for hospital!

Mojodiva
on 7/19/06 10:43 am - FPO, Japan
My surgery is scheduled for July 25th at 7:30am. I'm very excited and feel prepared for most everything. I've got a debate going on with my family over what type of pajamas to take to the hospital. I was going to take a nightgown to save us some money, but now Im wondering if pajamas with tops and bottoms would be better and easier to wear. I could pin the tube to the top and I wouldnt be 'exposing' myself anytime the nurses or doctor needs to check my incisions. Thought I'd pop in and get everyone else's take on this--I've made sure to already pack the chapstick (two kinds in fact LOL), slippers, my boppy (used it for breastfeeding and now going to use it to protect my tummy), and some movies to watch on the laptop. So-- Nightgown or Top & bottom pj's?
Jennifer V.
on 7/19/06 11:19 am - Waynesboro, VA
I was so swollen my pajamas were too tight. I just wore the hospital gown the whole time. It worked out fine. Good luck.
twinkie ~.
on 7/19/06 11:21 am - norfolk, va
why not take both. you can decide what you want to wear when the time comes. i know i wore a nightgown the first night then the next morning after they took out the catheter i put on my pj's. a new set i might add that i wore about 4 times before i no longer fit in them! a waste of money, LOL. i also brought my own pillow. good luck and keep us posted!! susanne~
prissy25
on 7/19/06 11:35 am - Barboursville, VA
Hospital gown is all u need they will give u one to cover up as a robe when walking they did me, and I took a very large gown to wear home w/ my slippers I dont think you will want pj's bottoms anyway. go for big roomy and comphy.
Michele R.
on 7/19/06 11:57 am - Pittsfield, MA
But Diva...EXPOSING yourself is the most fun! LMAO The nurses and docs always laughed when they came in my room because I had my gown up looking at my new incisions! I was so proud! I just wore the gown that they had there. Very easy to flash! *winks* Hugs! Shele
Ernurse323
on 7/19/06 12:15 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
No Gowns..you are gonna have the G- tube and drain. You need to access them easily. You will wear the hospital gown the first day/night..but after your shower you will feel much better in some lounge wear. I doubt you are gonna want to watch the movies, girl !! You are gonna be snowed !!!...LOL The boppy...you may use on the ride home to splint you stomach...but I think a travel pillow may give you a larger flatter surface area. (I loved those boppys !!! I was a lactation consultant at one time !!) There is a big bed under the window where your husband or WLS couch can stay. Mine stayed the entire time...thank God !!! Wow !!! You are almost there !!! I am soooooooooooo excited for you Gail !!!! Dana
Christine Hood
on 7/19/06 12:28 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
I wore the hospital gown for about the first 24 hours and then I changed into my own pjs...pj pants and a tank top. It felt great to change into my own clothes!! Good luck! Christine
Shanana
on 7/19/06 9:56 pm - Altavista, VA
I wore my gown as soon as the iv and came out. Brought stetchy pants and a big Tshirt to wear home. I had do many pillows around me to avoid hurting w/ any bumps in the road. Be blessed. Shannon
Chyanne2u
on 7/20/06 8:29 pm - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Mojo, I just had my surgery on July 3rd. I packed a lot more stuff than I needed. The chap stick is a must. I didn't use any of my clothes I brought. I stayed in the hospital gowns due to the IVs everywhere. It's easier that way. I didn't even put on underwear until the morning I was leaving the hospital. I took a book but never read it. I would take chap stick, slippers and a set of clothes to wear home and your own pillow (that was nice to have). That's honestly all you will need. Lots of Love Kathy 305/275/185/160
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 3:45 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I wore a night dress but not until the 3rd day as it is easier to keep the hospital gown on until they take your IV's out.... pj's might get too tight when you want to really not have anything there. Not sure a boppy will give you the protection you need when they want you to cough etc. I had a bariatric bear as a pillow so I held it to me when I wanted to cough. I took a book and a movie but never had time to read or watch either. You need to get up and walk about as much as you can - helps you heal quicker. Good luck and see you on the losing side (You have no idea before surgery how much I wanted to be on the losing side - actually - you might have lol!) Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views