Peeps waitin on PNH for surgery...

Ernurse323
on 7/12/06 4:25 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hola Amigas !! Kinda funny..I just got a phone call from the nurse coordinator for the Bariatric Program at Portsmouth Naval Hospital asking me if I was still interested in Gastric Bypass. The coy, smart assed side of me wanted to say, "Uhhhhhhhh no..but how bout puttin me on that waiting list for some Plastic Surgery???" Sooooooooooo..from the time I went to the orientation at PNH till today, there would have been a 10 month wait to be called. Now...from the phone call today who knows how long it would have taken to get cleared for surgery. We were all told in orientation that it could be up to a 2 year wait !! I am not sorry that I elected to go on the outside...although right now I am counting up all the money I would have saved by staying in the system. Dr Clark and his staff are the best. I have lost almost 75lbs now..and have enjoyed this summer to no end. All though I find myself fantasizing about Hostess products more than the average Joe !!! I am STILL straight with that stuff !!! I guess PNH's bariatric program is getting the extra hands they need to do more surgerys OR many more people have elected to go to civilian docs which has moved things along faster. Just wanted to give everyone waiting on PNH a heads up on the wait..and time frame for surgery there !!! Have a happy sunny day !! Dana
Bookworm5648
on 7/12/06 7:50 am - Manassas Park, VA
That is funny that they called you AFTER you already had it somewhere else. I did have my surgery at PNH in May of 2005, and I waited for 21 months from start to finish. But I am glad I did. I love the program there, and I have lost 172 pounds in 14 months. I do hope they get extra help though, because they do need it. I think the major setback is that fact that they have limited time in the OR. Have a good day! Stacy
Mojodiva
on 7/12/06 2:33 pm - FPO, Japan
Since I just received my surgery date (july 25th) after deciding not to stay within the PNH system and go through Tricare Standard, I have to say I am glad I did it. PNH has a wonderful staff and a great reputation. I sure do hope they get the help they have been asking for-- it can only benefit the over 300 patients waiting for help. By the way, what number were you? I was number 345. I found out the day after I got my number that number 75 had their surgery that week. Dana- you have email... you may not be getting mine for some reason!
Amber B.
on 7/12/06 10:39 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I'm glad it all worked out in the end!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views