9 months out

Mac
on 7/8/06 9:41 am - Newport News, VA
I am 9 months out from surgery and down 93 pounds. I have done well with my diet, but slowed with my excersize due to a new job and recent surgery for what i am about to chat about. I may be one those FEW that are able to still eat just about anything. If and when i get a craving for something i don't deny myself, BUT that depends on what it is still. I still haven't had a soda, beer or liquor (which i don't crave anyway) but sometimes i think it would be nice to enjoy a cold beer. I am however able to eat and stomach almost anything else so far. If and when i get a crave for something like a chocolate chip cookie let's say, i will buy one of the two packs from 7-Eleven and by the time i have two bites usually i will have satisfied my craving and either throw the other away or, save the other for another day. My main reason for writing is, i recently was in the hospital for what they thought was a perforated appendix, at least that's what the cat scan showed, but when they did the emergency surgery it wasn't the appendix but the colon that was perforated (duyriticulitus) and they also took the appendix. So my question is, has anyone else had a problem with this, or know of there being a problem with this condition as a by-product of Gastric Bypass surgery? I don't understand why this would not have been caught11 months ago when i had my colonoscopy or, 13 months ago when i had a sigmoidoscopy. I went in the hospital on the 5th of June transferred to another hospital on the 12th, and released on the 21st. After the initial surgery i had an abcess and an infection was found, and i felt like i was going to die. I wasn't happy with the care i recieved and let it be known. I had TWO cat scans and the infection or abcess wans't found then, was transferred to another facility. Once tranferred, i was taken care of immediately, the infection found by a simple ultrasound at bedside. The doctor *****ed at it through the incision with a scalpel and out came all the bad stuff. Thank God.
Christine Hood
on 7/8/06 9:48 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Congrats on that awesome loss!! Sorry I will be of no help with the other issues...I am completely opposite of you, I have trouble with everything...granted I am only a month out but still, I dumped on LITE cool whip so for some reason I'm thinking even a couple bites of cookie will be out of the question for me! Hope you get the rest of your answers...did u by chance ask a doctor not involved in the situation for an opinion...may be worth a shot. Good luck! Christine
Mac
on 7/27/06 7:41 pm - Newport News, VA
Thanks for the response. I am doing much better now, and can't say enough good things in regards to Portsmouth Naval Hospital, it's doctors, and staff. I am down 100 lbs now and am 9 nine months out of surgery. Take it easy with what you're eating. In time you will be able to test limits, and i kniw how hard it is coming from where you've been, but the suregery is supposed to be about a life change also. I did EXACTLY what i was told to do and ate EXACTLY what i was told and over time tested a few things so, i know and feel i am able to eat almost anything, but that may mean only a bite or two.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views