stubborn incision

Amy B.
on 7/8/06 12:43 pm - Hampton Roads, VA
Hi everybody! Ya know.....my surgery would be a dim memory if only this one last incision would heal. Surgery was the 21st. Went to the doctor a week later and he said it was a little open. Let it air. There was a little green stuff but not much. Sorry....TMI. Long story short...when I let it air and don't wear anything but my nightshirt.....it seems to scab over nicely. But as soon as I put anything on...even with a loose bandaid to protect it....it gets nasty again. Only very little red around it. Less than when the doctor saw it and he said there would have to be a lot more red to give oral antibiotic. This is the site where the camera went in and supposedly it can be stubborn. Any tips on healing? Oh yes....I am pounding the protein.....up to about 70 to 80 grams a day. Thanks! Amy
Michele R.
on 7/8/06 12:59 pm - Pittsfield, MA
Amy for me it was my drain site. This took the longest to heal up. I put NOTHING on it and just avoided getting anything into it IE: soap or lotions/ perfumes/powders. Leave it w/o a bandage and it will heal up nicely IMHO. When you shower maybe put a little bandage over it to keep the scab from getting wet and falling off. Then when the scab is nice and solid maybe start putting a little bit of lotion on it. THat is what I did with mine. Check with the nurse though. Best of luck hon. Hugs! Shele
Amy B.
on 7/9/06 12:32 am - Hampton Roads, VA
Thanks Shele.... It does scab over as long as it's exposed and I don't wear anything that rubs at the waistline. As soon as I do, even with a bandaid on to protect it...I think because maybe it's warm now or whatever....the heat in that area causes the scab to soften up and then it turns green. I put a little neosporin on it....and it heals right up. I guess I just have to be patient and do like my husband says....be brave and willing to leave the house without my underwear on! Hmmmm. Amy
TammyNVA
on 7/8/06 9:42 pm - Chesterfield, VA
The incision hole that my drain came out was the last to heal for me. It also turned red around the surface. I treated it with a little antibiotic oitment (suggested by the nurse practioner in my surgeon's office.) Just tried to keep it clean by rinsing with warm soapy water during shower, then dried well and kept it uncovered once a scab formed, whenever possible. Hope that helps... keep up the great work!! Hugs, Tammy
Amy B.
on 7/9/06 12:35 am - Hampton Roads, VA
Hi Tammy, My drain hole was the first to heal for me. And all the other sites were very soon to follow. I'm doing the same thing you did. I think it's just the fact that it's right at the waistline and the heat builds up there if I wear anything...softens up the scab. As soon as it's exposed it heals up again. Patience I guess! Thanks! Amy
Christine Hood
on 7/9/06 3:00 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Hey Amy! Hope everything else is going well for ya! I had a little problem with the waistline incision and I just made sure to roll down the waistband of my pants and keep it off of the incision site. You may also want to try washing the incision with antibacterial soap (I used Dial Antibacterial from the beginning on all of my incisions). I had 2 that took a little longer to heal than the others and with those, I dumped peroxide on them in the shower, then washed with antibacterial soap and then I rubbed in some neosporin. In no time they were all nicey nicey! Good luck! Christine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views