Found a lump/ scared to death

kizie23
on 7/4/06 1:09 pm - blacksburg, VA
On Sunday at work, I was sitting outside with a friend. For some reason I felt on my neck and found this big lump. I asked my friend if he would feel it as well. Just so that I was sure it was not my imagination. He felt on my neck and sure enough he felt the same thing I did. I automatically started to freak out b/c my father passed away due to complications with cancer. I also smoke. So, with that in mind I went upstairs and asked my boss if she would mind me leaving after everything I needed to do was done. She asked what was wrong and I told her. I also explained that my doctors office was open on Sundays and that I would leave straight from work and go there. She said I could leave.. SO, I get to the doctors office and just my luck my family doctor was not the one on call. That was OK, I was there and I was going to be seen. After about two hours of waiting, it was finally my turn. I went back into the room, the doctor came in and I explained to him why I was there. He looked at my throat and felt around. He said the lump was very noticeable, but he did not think it was something to be worried about. He had blood work done on me and said possibly it could be my thyroid. I have never in the past had thyroid problems, so this was a complete shock to me. He also said he wanted to have an ultrasound done of my throat. I will have to wait until next week for the ultrasound. I am hoping that I will get the results of the blood tests on Wednesday. Hope everyone is having a safe holiday. Melissa
Susan E.
on 7/4/06 9:16 pm - Purcellville, VA
I know your worried, But try not to just yet. (Easy for me to say, I know) You found it and went straight to your doc. Thats the best thing you can do. Many people often ignore these type of things. Try not to waste energy on letting you mind wonder into the many possiblities that it could be. Put that energy into something positive for now. It could be nothing. Hopefully will be nothing. So relax. Deep breathe and enjoy you summer holiday. Keep us informed. Susan
Carole V.
on 7/4/06 10:10 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Melissa, I hope you can stop yourself from worrying too much, although I know that can be hard. I too had a lump in the front of my throat, that I never noticed till I had lost about 100 lbs (and neither did any doctors). It turned out to be an enlarged thyroid, which was treated with radiation. Sometimes radiation kills off the thyroid and you have to take synthetic thyroid hormones for the rest of your life. In my case, it just shrunk the enlarged part, but my thyroid is working as it should now, levels are all within normal range. I hope everything turns out all right, just try to relax, and deal with whatever comes your way. You are strong and can find it within yourself to do what has to be done. Good luck, Carole
wayahart
on 7/5/06 1:28 am - quitman, LA
Melissa, Maybe i can calm some of your fears, this may be a Thyroglossal duct cyst. Thyroglossal duct cyst's are remnants of the embryonic thyroglossal duct that may occur anywhere from the base of the tongue to the thyroid gland. the majority, however, are found at the level of the thyrohyoid membrane, under the deep cervical fascia. They are midline or just off the midline, and move up and down when you swallow. This is acually a birth defect. If it give you problems it can be removed. Very rare do these become cancerous. You can put: thyroglossal duct in your url line and find more articles on these also it could be a brachial cleft cyst (spelling?) I have a thyroglossal duct cyst also. Found it about 1990. I have had sleep study and have severe obstructive sleep apnea untreated for many yrs causeing some heart problems. I am being referred to a ears, nose and throat doctor for this cyst. They will probably order ct scan and thyroid scan to see if this cyst is pressure on my tongue causing part of the problem with the sleep apnea. I'm pre op still just having my heart get stable for surgery. Also i have hypothyroidisum. Keep us updated on your situation i'm curious on if this is the cyst and what they will do. You can email me anytime at [email protected]. Good luck and god bless Zadie
Ernurse323
on 7/5/06 1:42 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Melissa, Big Hugs...keep us updated on what's going on. Dana
Stacey D.
on 7/5/06 10:50 am - Harrisonburg, VA
Melissa, I will keep you in my prayers. I know what you are going through. Two weeks a go I had a lumpectomy to remove a tumor the size a walnut from my breast. The wait was enough to drive me crazy! But I have been blessed that this tumor was cancer free--PRAISE GOD. I will pray for your lump to be a "worry free" lump as well as the ability to not worry while waiting for the result. May GOD give you a blessed day! ~~Stacey
Amber B.
on 7/5/06 11:19 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Will be praying for you! Amber
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views