Leg cramps.....ever get 'em?

Amy B.
on 7/3/06 2:50 pm - Hampton Roads, VA
Ugh. My father always got leg cramps and he used to drink a glass of tonic water before bed....said the quinine took car of charlie horses. In the past year I've gotten them myself but I can always tie it to one thing. If I'm out in the heat or have some reason to perspire a lot...and don't keep up with my fluids......I can get 'em. Usually means you might be dehydrated or you have sweated your potassium out. I could take a potassium tablet and 20 minutes later all cramping would stop. Well.....for the past three nights it's been like an alarm clock. At 3:30 on the dot my ankles....MY ANKLES>>...how bizzare is that.....they start cramping and my feet contort in the most awful position. I have to get out of bed and walk across the room to get it to stop. It CAN'T be dehydration.....I'm getting way past 64 oz.....that's just where I STOP keeping track of what I drink. I probably drink almost twice that on most days. So does anybody have this problem and what do or did you do about it?? Amy
(deactivated member)
on 7/3/06 6:56 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Amy , most likely it is your potassium . I go thru this a lot . And I suppliment with Potassium . I Work out a lot too and tend to loose a lot when I sweat . Get the suppliment or try eating a bannana . Hugs, Nat
Amy B.
on 7/3/06 10:02 pm - Hampton Roads, VA
Yup I'm thinking so. Wasn't as bad last night and started a little closer to daylight. I have some potassium here (wouldn't be without it) and guess I'll crush that up maybe at bedtime when I do my pepsid. I have a distal procedure and my surgeon said I'd be more likely to dump. I always have bananas for my son but figured especially this early out I wouldn't try it. Don't want to stress out my new pouch by throwing up if I can consciously avoid it. Thanks!! Amy
A10sFrau
on 7/3/06 8:51 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
I have had trouble with leg cramps in the past, but not since I am on vitamins. Did have cramps in the soles of my feet the other night. Yes, on the potassium and I also add calcium when I have this problem (cheese, yogurt, milk). Lois
(deactivated member)
on 7/3/06 10:27 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Amy, nope, I haven't had them since surgery and all the vitamins I take, but I did have them lots before surgery. Ugh, what a killer!! I feel for you. love donna
Christine Hood
on 7/3/06 11:02 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Hey Amy! I had that right after surgery...my surgeon's office recommended that I drink oj (50/50 with water)...They were so bad tht I could hardly walk. Within 2 days of doing the oj thing, they were gone...just make sure it is 100% juice watered down by half... Christine
** Judy **
on 7/4/06 6:58 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I am about 19 months out and had problems with muscle cramps for the first 10-12 months. I would have cramps about 3 times per week and sometimes as much as 3 times a day. They would mostly be in my calves or thighs. Eating a banana (potassium) would help some -- but not completely. So about month 10 I started taking TwinLabs Chewable Calcium Citrate from the Vitamin Shoppe. The calcium I had been taking had Vitamin D added. The TwinLabs has vitamin D and magnesium. As long as I get about 750 mg of magnesium per day, I have hardly any cramping. My muscle cramping has gone from 2-3 times per week to about once every 3 months -- and it is not even close to the severity it was in the past! Thus, I am a firm believer in magnesium!!! p.s. It was OK'd by one of the surgeons at Norfolk Surgical Group.
Amy B.
on 7/4/06 8:49 pm - Hampton Roads, VA
Thanks Judy! I'm still kinda wary of bananas because of dumping. That's why this new tool will work for me.....I will do ANYTHING not to get sick to my stomach! I looked and I do have calcium citrate with magnesium. I've always taken that around the time of my period so it makes sense that it would help for this. Like I say, I just got permission to start my vitamins this past Saturday so maybe it takes a while to build up? Still getting the cramps but not as many.....and not as bad. Take care! Amy
Lynne M.
on 7/4/06 3:59 pm - Manassas, VA
My dietician recommends 12oz. of V-8/day for potassium. The calories are minimal. Lynne
Amy B.
on 7/4/06 8:51 pm - Hampton Roads, VA
Hi Lynne... I've been drinking four oz. as it is. Will try upping it. Hadnt even thought of V8 as a source for potassium! Thanks! Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views