not feeling so hot

laney
on 6/27/06 12:49 am - Raleigh, NC
Not sure what is going on. I have a call in to Barb at Commonwealth Surgeons. Last Thurs. I had what she called a Esophogeal Spasm... and since then it's like every bite or sip of anything activates my gag reflex... with the exception of water. I've got another call into her. I have to admit to sitting here feeling sorry for myself right at this moment, even though I know I shouldn't be. I'm spending too much of my day literally trying to choke down some kind of protein. I take a sip or a bite then spend a moment trying not to spit it back up. Any suggestions? ~Laney
kabarron1
on 6/27/06 1:00 am - Hopewell, VA
Laney, I don't have any suggestions; but what ever it is...I hope you're able to figure it out and get it treated. Take care and keep your chin up. Keith
Tam
on 6/27/06 3:46 am - Richmond, VA
Laney~ Hey there. Yep...I had a similar experience. They gave me Zofran and it was a Godsend! I had morning sickness when I was pregnant and no one told me it would carry over to this surgery. Once I started taking the pills everything was fine...until I developed my first stricture from gagging and puking so much. Hope they get you something called in soon. Don't feel sorry for yourself...you can not control this. Keep us posted and Barbara should call back soon. Tammy
laney
on 6/27/06 4:11 am - Raleigh, NC
You know that's exactly what it's like, morning sickness with food sensitivity. I was sick with my daughter for 5 1/2 months. I actually LOST 23lbs during the pregnancy. I talked to Barb for about 20min on the phone and I'm actually feeling much better now. She thinks that I've still got a bit of post op swelling in my stoma. Nothing that I should panic about yet. Just keep trying to get it down, try to keep varying the items that i can get, and try some of the very liquid proteins (nectar etc) and keep on plugging for now. I'll be sure to mention the meds that you took though if it keeps up. I did manage some mashed potatoes this afternoon right after I talked to her without gagging, maybe just because she calmed me down??? Thanks ~Laney
Ernurse323
on 6/27/06 1:47 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Laney, What would cause the esophageal spasm? What are they doing to do..give you a muscle relaxer or something? I haven't heard of that from WLS yet. I am sorry. You should be feeling sorry for yourself !! You are spasming everything back up !!! I hope they call you something in soon. Please let us know how you are doing. Also...are they encouraging you to even drink water right now wht you are having these spasms? You sure wouldn't want to aspirate anything into your lungs !!! Be careful !! P.S...LOVE your name. My baby's name is Allaina..and I call her Laney !!!! Hugs..feel better soon !!! Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views