This Day in History....

kabarron1
on 6/26/06 2:19 am - Hopewell, VA
On this day in ... * 1096, Peter the Hermit's crusaders force their way across Sava, Hungary. * 1243, The Seljuk Turkish army in Asia Minor is wiped out by the Mongols. * 1541, Former followers murder Francisco Pizarro, the Spanish Conqueror of Peru. * 1794, The French defeat an Austrian army at the Battle of Fleurus. * 1804, The Lewis and Clark Expedition reaches the mouth of the Kansas River after completing a westward trek of nearly 400 river miles. * 1870, the first section of the boardwalk at Atlantic City, N.J., was opened to the public. * 1900, a commission that included Dr. Walter Reed began the fight against the deadly disease yellow fever. * 1917, the first troops of the American Expeditionary Force arrived in France during World War I. * 1945, the charter of the United Nations was signed by 50 countries in San Francisco. * 1948, the Berlin Airlift began in earnest after the Soviet Union cut off land and water routes to the isolated western sector of Berlin. * 1959, President Eisenhower joined Britain's Queen Elizabeth II in ceremonies officially opening the St. Lawrence Seaway. * 1963, President Kennedy visited West Berlin, where he made his famous declaration: "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner). Some thought he said the phrase incorrectly and actually said, "I'm a jelly donut." * 1996, the Supreme Court ordered the Virginia Military Academy to admit women, or forgo state support. ALSO: Former White House counsel Bernard Nussbaum took the blame for the FBI files controversy; White House security chief Craig Livingstone resigned. President Clinton and leaders of the world's other industrial powers gathered in Lyon, France, for their annual economic summit. * 2001, President Bush urged Ariel Sharon during a White House meeting to take the next step toward Middle East peace talks, but the Israeli prime minister said violence had to end first. It never did and Sharon went on to surrender land won in a war after the Jewish state was attacked. ALSO: George Trofimoff, a retired Army officer, was convicted in Tampa, Fla., of selling Cold War secrets to Moscow over two decades. (Trofimoff, who maintains his innocence, was sentenced to life in prison.) * 2005, dozens of international leaders met in San Francisco to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the United Nations' birth.
Ernurse323
on 6/26/06 11:50 am - Virginia Beach, VA
* 1963, President Kennedy visited West Berlin, where he made his famous declaration: "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner). Some thought he said the phrase incorrectly and actually said, "I'm a jelly donut." Now couldn't you have just deleted this one about the DAMNED DONUT? I WANT A DONUT..but not jelly..coconut !!!!!!.. That was a cute one !!! Dana
kabarron1
on 6/26/06 11:52 pm - Hopewell, VA
Actually I added that little tid-bit about the donut. Thought you guys might find it interesting. Sorry. No coconuts were involved in that story though.....I'll have to find one for ya!!!! Keith
Christine Hood
on 6/26/06 11:56 am - Fort Eustis, VA
I'll take the jelly donut if Dana doesn't want it!! What's the matter Dana...too GOOD for jelly!! LOL Christine
Ernurse323
on 6/26/06 1:03 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Noooooooooooooooooo..I just prefer toasted coconut, thank you !!!! But I may as well get over it since they are off "the list." Bet you could tell alot about a person by the type of "donut" they perfered !!!! Maybe we should do a survery !!! Dana
kabarron1
on 6/26/06 11:58 pm - Hopewell, VA
So what would an chocolate eclair or Boston cream say about me? Keith
Ernurse323
on 6/27/06 1:40 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I gotta keep it clean here..so here goes.... An Eclair or Boston Creme are in the more sophisticated class of donuts !!! A person that prefers these may have an air of class about their persona. A person that prefers a jelly donut obviously doesn't mind getting sticky and gooey...LMAO..Sorry Christine !!! ..I know you will get me back on this one !!! Dana
kabarron1
on 6/27/06 1:49 am - Hopewell, VA
Interesting take......don't know about all that "air of class" bit; but interesting non the less! Keith
kabarron1
on 6/26/06 11:57 pm - Hopewell, VA
It's all your girl!! I'll find a baggy for the after effects! Keith
Christine Hood
on 6/27/06 4:56 am - Fort Eustis, VA
OK, so here's my take!! I'll agree with the sticky and gooey bit...there is lots that you can do with sticky and gooey!! BUT!!! I have to disagree with the "air of class" for the Boston Cream/Eclair. I think those can be equally as gooey...not quite sticky...more creamy and gooey...yum--my!!! And about the coconut hmmmm...kinda dry and crusty! YUCK!! What do ya'll think about my take???! Christine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views