Metabolic Testing

Kathy & Rich
on 6/17/06 7:08 am - Fairfax, VA
Rich and I did our metabolic testing today. An interesting thing. The testing shows how many calories we burn at rest and based on our lifestyles and the second part shows at what heart rate we burn fat versus not burning anything. As for me... my resting metabolic rate is 1348 calories. So my body needs at least 1348 in order to fuel my organs and that is without exercise. If I exercise, I need more calories to fuel that. Roughly based on no exercise... my body will burn to up 2022 calories a day. So if I ate more than that... I'd have excess calories floating in my body. Basically it summarizes to... I need to get eat more than 1348 calories and less than 2022 to lose weight. I'd need to eat 2022 to maintain. If I exercise and burn 200 calories... I'd add 200 calories to those number. If I exercise more than that... then I need additional calories. Ah, the math of it all. LOL! I'm not sure how many calories I'm taking in now. I'll need to measure things out one of these days to see where I'm at. I did lose this past week but I've been having stomach issues and eating hasn't been easy. As for my heart rate stuff....my heart rate runs very low. My aerobic base (AB) was a heart rate of 71. That is the maximum rate at which I burned fat during my test. Yikes, that's low. My anaerobic threshold (AT) was a heart rate of 114. Which is the maxiumum sustainable rate at which I burned calories (fat and carbs) during my assessment. Above 114, I burn carbs only. Unfortunately when I work out... I'm working my body much higher than that and when I do and I deplete my carb stores... I end up losing some lean muscle. Not good. It is going to be strange to have to work my body out less intensely for more benefit. So, that being said... I have a bit of a plan now to increase my aerobic base up to a higher rate. I have a treadmill workout that has me adjusting the incline and speed to keep my heart rate in certain ranges to work on this. Pretty interesting stuff. Not sure I "get" it all but still interesting. I'm not really looking to lose more weight but I'd like to build up my lean muscle mass and reduce my body fat so that's my goal. When you increase lean muscle mass, you increase your body's ability to burn fat at rest. We got the testing done through Andy Pfefferkorn who is a personal trainer and teaches the fitness class through Fair Oaks Hospital. Luckily I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas from my dad. I asked for it but had yet to work with it. Now I can and will know how to use it. As for Rich his caloric range without exercise is 2088 (resting) and 2727 (max). His AB was 87 and his AT was 127. Kathy
Ernurse323
on 6/17/06 7:20 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Wow..all that is very interesting !! Sounds like you two have a good plan there. I definately need to start increasing the intensity or I guess really doing resistance or weight training. Keep up the good work, Kathy. You are looking great..if we could just get you to FEEL great now !!! Big Hugs, Dana
Kathy & Rich
on 6/17/06 7:36 am - Fairfax, VA
Dana, Boy, you nailed that, honey! LOL! I may look "great" in your words... I wish I felt great. LOL! The weird thing is that I need to slow down my intensity. What a strange concept. But I'm working too hard and burning carbs and ultimately lean muscle. Goodness knows I want to keep that muscle cuz that's what burns fat. What a conundrum! Working less hard will be better for me. Strange. Very strange. Big hugs back to ya, Kathy
Stephanie M.
on 6/17/06 9:35 am - Moncks Corner, SC
Kathy... That is WAY too much math for a Saturday! LOL...My brain hurts from all of that. Wait a minute....I forgot...SCHOOL IS OUT!!!!! I don't have to do math homework anymore!!!! WOOO HOOO! I also hope you get to feeling as good as you look. You've been through quite a bit! Time for a break! Love, Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/06 9:07 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Kahty , Curious to know if these studies reflect our lifestyle though . Knowing our absorbtion rate is not 100 % . Is this an accurate account of the number of calories ? There is no way n high heaven this gal could ever eat 1300 to 2000 cal in a day . So I am wondering if this is a true gauge . I hope it is .. and would love to know what my motab rate is . Where do I find this at ? Hugs, Nat
Kathy & Rich
on 6/18/06 9:39 am - Fairfax, VA
I think the problem is that no one can truly tell us how much we malabsorb and for how long. Depends on too many factors I would think...proximal, medial, distal, DS, etc. Plus the intestines may hypertrophy and adapt to our absorption issues by growing. I'd be really curious to know if one gets less hypertrophying (growing) of the intestines if one provides more nutrients aka protein from the beginning. It would make some logical sense that if you keep the body as well nourished as you can early on...there would be less adaption, no? I can get 1300-2000 cals in a day. 3 protein shakes at 135 per (35 grams of protein per made with water) is just over 400 calories right there. A snack of an ounce of nuts is 170 cals or 2 pieces of cheese would probably be 200 cals (usually about 100 cals per ounce). Now, I'm up to say 600 cals without my breakfast, lunch and dinner. Stuff adds up fast. My meals are lean protein mostly and some vegies but I will put some butter on vegies or more cheese with my protein. I'm not sure where you can get the testing done down in your area. Wonder if you doctor knows? Hugs, Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views