I'm sitting here crying

*~Tigger~ *
on 6/14/06 11:00 am - Staunton, VA
As many of you know, I ws injured at work about a year and a half ago. I have had 2 major surgeries on my cervical spine as a result of the fall. The doctor doesn't know if I will be able to return to work or not in the Fall. School admin wants to meet with me; they want me to say that I'll be there on the first day of school and for the entire year or else they want to hire someone for my position. (I have taught in the system for 18 years.) I had a lawyer friend write to them that he will be attending the meeting with me. He told me a while ago that the city attorney left him a message that it is a closed meeting and that he won't be allowed to attend with me. WTF? I feel totally betrayed and that I am losing my career. I don't know what to do. Thank you, my friends, for listening. JoAnn
A10sFrau
on 6/14/06 11:06 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hmm, I don't understand how that is legal. Guess that's why I am not a lawyer. It would seem a person has a right to a representative. Is your lawyer well versed in school law? Prayers going your way. Lois
Shanana
on 6/14/06 11:13 am - Altavista, VA
Oh no Buddy!! You will be OK. Sue the **** out of them. Shannon
Christine Hood
on 6/14/06 11:29 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Wow JoAnn, that is terrible!! First of all, if you have a case pending against them (even workman's comp), I don't believe that it is legal for them to meet with you without your lawyer being permitted in...(I would call the WC board and get clarification). You should just tell them that you'll be there in the fall. If something changes during the summer, they will have to deal with it. I would also think that if they ask you to sign anything you can probably refuse to sign anything without your lawyer looking it over. Be sure to make notes of these types of issues because if you have to take this further, documentation will be the key. Good luck Girl! Christine
A10sFrau
on 6/14/06 11:47 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
What Christine said! Amen! Lois
cappymoon
on 6/14/06 11:32 am - Northern, VA
Hey Sweetie You said you were injured at work?? This sounds like a workmans comp case to me (Like Lois, I am no lawyer) and for them not to let you have your own representation is appaling. I think you need to contact the school board you work for directly and make sure you get the name of the person you talk to, and make sure you are as high on the food chain that you can possibly get. That is just crap....if you need someone to talk to, you know the number sweetie....remember I work for a school system as well, and I KNOW how they can get.... See you in a week!!! Dianna
Ernurse323
on 6/14/06 11:34 am - Virginia Beach, VA
JoAnn, That is aweful. I pray that you are in good hands with your attorney. I knew you had hurt your neck, but didn't know what kind of injury. Stay strong and keep your chin up. Always remember that when one door closes, another opens. Big Hugs, Dana
Dawn C.
on 6/14/06 11:50 am - Annandale, VA
Joann, I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know how they can prevent you from having your own representation with you. Call the Teacher's Union and see if they'll allow a rep from the Union to attend if you can't get your lawyer in. Best Wishes to you. As a fellow teacher, I understand how hurtful it is to feel betrayed by a system you put so much into. How awful.
melody80
on 6/14/06 11:51 am - Remington, VA
JoAnn, it really has to be tough on you trying to recover from those surgeries as well as dealing with the possible loss of a job. I just wanted you to know to keep your head up. The main thing is that you are able to move around. My mother has had 3 spinal surgeries.....after the second surgery there was a point where her supervisors were threatening her(not in an agressive manner) to terminate her position because she had a certain date she had to return and unfortunately she needed more time off. She ended up returning to her job too soon. They ended up terminating her anyway because she obviously could not work up to the potential she was before. Anyway to make this long story short....my mom did take a few extra months to heal. She did loose her job that she was with for 13 years...but she ended up going back. They accepted her back a few months later and every thing turned out alright. I guess what Im trying to tell you is that your body really needs the time to heal. Dont rush yourself ...you may end up being able to go back when the time is right. My mom went through many weeks of crying and she felt so betrayed but if you'd ask her now she knows that she really needed that time off from working. Anyway, my prayers go out to you. Please post again and let us know what happend. Take care. Melody
TammyNVA
on 6/14/06 11:53 am - Chesterfield, VA
You've gotten some good responses here... just want to add my support and {{{huggs}}} Stick to your guns, follow your heart, and PRAY. See you soon, Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views