Gallbladder-Like Attacks

Teresa Isphording
on 6/13/06 12:07 am - Knotts Island, NC
Just a brief background... I had open RNY on Oct 3, 2003 lost 125 pounds. About 6 months after surgery I started having gallbladder attacks. I didn't get my gallbladder taken out till Nov 03, 2004. Ever since I've still been getting 'gallbladder-like' attacks. Same sharp pain in my upper abdomen shooting through to my back and getting sick. I really didn't think much of it because I wasn't having them that often. I got pregnant in July of 2005 and had a couple really bad attacks while pregnant. Then last Monday I had a really bad attack and wasn't able to eat all week. I finally went to the doctors Thursday and they drew blood to run test on my pancreas, liver and to check for an ulcer. I'm hoping to have my test results back today or tomorrow. My doctor was thinking it was just an ulcer but since I'm having the same type of pains/symptoms as gallstones he is leaning towards it being my pancreas. Apparently acute pancreatitis mimics the same symptoms as having a gallbladder attack and some causes may be use of prescribed drugs, trauma or surgery to the abdomen, or abnormalities of the pancreas or intestine. My sister who had her open RNY surgery 3 weeks before me (different surgeon) just had her gallbladder taken out this past November and has been having the same gallbladder-like attacks as me. My question is... has anyone else experienced this? If so what did your doctor say or do about it? Going to my surgeon is not an option because I had my surgery in Charleston Sc and now live in Knotts Island Nc & work in Portsmouth Va. Again, my PCP has already done some test and I should know today or tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone else is/has gone through the same thing. Teresa
Stacey D.
on 6/14/06 9:12 am - Harrisonburg, VA
Yes, that is similiar to what my blockage felt like. When these little attacks started, I could handle the pain, it went in and out. I kept saying it was gas, because at first gas X seemed to help it. But in May I was taken to the ER, but they couldn't find anything. However, I have been out of the hospital for a little over a week now. I was in there for five days with a blockage. I too had open RNY in Oct 2004, and they said it is very common with open patients to get these types of blockages from scar tissue that has built up/grown. Now thankfully after alot of meds and relaxiation, my kink came out with no additional surgery (they say 90% correct on their own). They are doing a hernia/plastic surgery in July and hopefully if I can stay out of the hospital until then, they will remove the scar tissue they feel is causing my kinks. So not to throw anymore pieces into the puzzle, but this what my gallbladder like attacks turned into. Good luck. I wouldn't give up on finding out what is going on! Take Care, Stacey
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views