Is there a visit with out a Program fee?

Nidiah
on 6/13/06 3:59 am - HERNDON, VA
I have been looking to get the procedure done but the Drs want a program fee along with co payments..don't mind the co payments but they want $400 more. Any one that knows a doctor that don't charge program fee?
Michele R.
on 6/13/06 4:56 am - Pittsfield, MA
IMHO I wouldn't go to a doc that didn't have a program. It is there for a reason. They keep you in line and help you get the things done efficiently and accordingly. My program fee was only 750.00 which is WAY less expencive than most. It is a wonderful program and awesome staff. Look into this farther *the programs I mean* See what you get for your money. Again JMHO Hugs! Shele
Lorraina M.
on 6/13/06 5:05 am - Ruther Glen, VA
I feel like I had one of the best doctor's (if not the very best) and I did not pay a program fee. Dr. Hutcher in Richmond was fantastic and is also the President of the American Bariatric Association. He has been featured on the Discovery channel and is very well known. I am 3 months post op and have had no problems and had a very easy recovery (open rny). Anyway, he gets my vote for sure! Lorraine
Christina R.
on 6/13/06 5:36 am - Reston, VA
Dr. Anez's fee is only $250 I believe (He's out of INOVA Fair Oaks). I'm with the other poster who said you get a decent program for your money. I felt at first like I was being nickeled and dimed before I even knew I'd be approved (between the surgeon, the physical therapist, sleep study, etc.), but I'm convinced that my approval process and all the other things along the journey to my big day are/will be easier because their office is doing a bunch of things for me (that I'd normally have to take care of). I'm sure there are Drs out there though that don't make you pay one...if you're set on not having to pay one, keep looking. Christina S.
Tam
on 6/13/06 6:51 am - Richmond, VA
Dr. Hutcher is my surgeon as well and his office currently does not have a program fee. They are instituting one very soon though. If you can go to support groups where you are at and have a nice support system then I would say try his office. He only does open procedures, but if you want it done lap you may check into Dr. Martin or Dr. Bautista. They are all in Commonwealth Surgoens here in Richmond at St. Mary's Hospital. I am almost 14 months out and honestly...I can not see paying a program fee. I go to support group every week if I can, but at least two times a month if I can not make it weekly. I do not have to pay a fee to go...I go because I know what they do for you and I want to be there. JMO... Tammy
Andrea N.
on 6/13/06 6:52 am - Ashland, VA
I will be having surgery on Friday June 23rd with Dr. Schirmer at University of Virginia. My first appointment with him was December 2004 (yes, I am only now finally getting approved) but I have never heard of a "program fee" - not then - not now. What exactly is that and why do they charge it? Hmmm.... Andrea
~ Julie ~
on 6/13/06 7:33 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
What do you mean by "program fee"? My surgery was all self pay, so there have been fees a-plenty, but I have never heard of a program fee. Unless you're referring to the fee to go through the nutrition classes? Now I had to pay that, and like Christina, it was $250. I think my father went to a seminar of a surgeon who was going to charge something like $2000 up front even though his insurance would have covered it (he's out of town right now so I can't ask him) that I believe was some sort of program fee. Sounds like quackery to me. You're in Herndon? I would highly suggest that you check out the surgeons over at Fair Oaks Hospital. I think the two main surgeons are Dr. Anez and Dr. Moazzez. I think Anez is primarily open and Moazzez is primarily Laparoscopic. I don't know much about Dr. Anez, but I would recommend Dr. Moazzez a hundred times over. He's strict and makes you do what you're supposed to, but in return takes his time and does what HE is supposed to do. He explained everything so well to me that I didn't have any questions. Not to mention the fact that Fair Oaks is pretty highly ranked in terms of bariatric surgery itself. Good luck to you, Julie
cappymoon
on 6/13/06 7:39 am - Northern, VA
Hello Who are you looking in to? I had my surgery through metrobariatrics (although my surgeon has since moved) and I think they charged me $200. It might be a little higher now with the remaining surgeon, maybe my sister will answer. In my opinion, it was money well spent. I had a friend that convinced her surgeon that she didnt need the program, and now she is 3 years out and having trouble loosing any more weight. She lost about 100lbs, which is great, but when you needed to loose as much as me (I am assuming, we started at the same pre surgery weight, and she is shorter than I) only loosing half is kinda heartbreaking. I will say that if you looked in to Dr Elarini (SP?) I know he charges $2000, and I am not sure what for. I went to a seminar with my dad when he was looking into the surgery, and as soon as I heard that, I lead him to the door. There was NO WAY. Anyways, through all of my rambling, I dont think I would be where I am unless I had the support of my surgeons office, and the nutritionist. So, yes, I think it was money well spent. I am not sure if there is anyone in our area who does not charge that fee. Let me know if you have any questions!! Dianna
~ Julie ~
on 6/13/06 7:52 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
You had to pay $200 for a program fee TO the surgeon? Or was it to the hospital for the nutritionist? Maybe they charged me that too, and it was included in the $5500 surgeon's fee? So far, it's only Dr. Moazzez himself who hasn't sent me some extra crap to pay for.
cappymoon
on 6/13/06 8:24 am - Northern, VA
LOL, we were replying at the same time...what is that they say about great minds Yes, the nutritionist was the *program fee* back when. So, if you paid $250, the cost of inflation shows, since I only had to pay $200. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have paid $1000 just to get the information I needed to make this surgery a success!! So, to answer your question, no, you were charged the program fee as well. Sorry about the gym tonight, I didnt get the message till I was home and all relaxed from CLEANING MY BUS I have LOTS of cleaning to do between now and Monday, I will try to fit the gym in there somewhere (Hey, dosent cleaning count?? You could come help me do that ) Dianna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 946 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2280 views