A couple of questions

melody80
on 6/11/06 12:11 pm - Remington, VA
Hi everyone! I was just wondering....I'm 6 months out...at what stage after your WLS did you all slow down on the protein shakes? I've been to many nutrition classes but its been a couple of months and I need a bit of a reminder. I guess I should look back at my nutrition workbooks...but I was just wondering. A friend of mine who is almost 2 years out told me she had stopped the shakes around 6 months. Also....is there a book or some kind of restaurant guide for WLS patients? I've been pretty bussy lately and found myself eating out a lot. I would love some suggestions on what people eat when they go out! If you have time please give me some ideas...names on menues if you remember. For example: what do you order in chinease restaurants?? Italian?? McDonalds? Subway? Arby's..... Thanks!!! Hope everyone has a great week!
Christine Hood
on 6/11/06 1:19 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Hi Melody! I am only about a week out but my understanding is that you must continue shakes until you are getting your full protein from food. Christine
TammyNVA
on 6/11/06 9:26 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Melody, We had surgery within a week of each other! I've sloooowed down too, and also feel like I've lost some momentum. Part of that, I'm sure, is that I've missed going to support group meetings for the past two months because of a conflict with a class I'm taking. Good news is this week is my last week. Also, I've been caring for my hubby, who was in an accident two months ago, but he is finally getting back to normal. I spent a couple of weeks going to work, school, and back and forth to the hospital, with little time to prepare meals. I don't have ADVICE, but I also find myself making choices with fast food. This is what I have found... McDonald's: Their new salads are much better than the older versions. I get the grilled chicken options and eat about half of the chicken and salad and about a third of the dressing. They also have apple wedges and the fruit and nut salad is good for a snack/pick-me-up (be careful of the yogurt and nuts.) Arby's: I get the regular roast beef and just eat the meat off the bun... sprinkle a little of the Arby's barbque sauce on it. Chinese: I usually get "something" with veggies like shrimp or chicken. Warning that Chinese food has made me sick twice and I stay AWAY from any rice or noodles. Italian: Look for non-pasta options. I like chicken parmesan, but scrape most of the coating off. Sometimes I'll get meat balls and just leave the pasta. It's ok to throw stuff away! Subway: Their wraps and salads are pretty good, as long as you stay away from too much fat or dressings. I can eat about half of a small one. OR, sometimes I just pick out the meat. Good luck and let me know how you are doing!! Tammy
melody80
on 6/12/06 10:59 pm - Remington, VA
Thanks for sharing your fast food choices with me...I guess I'm on the same track. I was just a little afraid I was making the wrong food choices. I've been to so many nutrition classes but I guess there is still that part of me who is afraid I'm not making the right desisions. Thanks!
kabarron1
on 6/12/06 2:20 am - Hopewell, VA
Melody, I'm almost 10 months out and I know others who are much further out than that and we still take a protein replacement shake in the morning. For me, its just easier to start my day off with quality protein because I never know what my day might have in store for me. Ya know? As far as fast food menus go, I very rarely eat at those establishments. Just try to stay away from too much bread (of course), fried foods, and pasta's. I try to employ the method of "Protein First....everything else is just a treat." Now I KNOW its its difficult to eat Chinese because so much of their food is deep fried; but I general stick to beef and broccoli, green pepers/onions and steak, and most anything else thats not heavily breaded and deep fried. I have to admit though....I will sneak a couple of General Tso chicken pieces every now and again. I know!!! Its bad, but I eat more than a few piece; much more than that and I'd probably be dumping. Hope this helps. Keith
melody80
on 6/12/06 11:07 pm - Remington, VA
Hi Keith! I guess I will stick to the protein for as long as I can. Which protein shake do you take? Only once a day or does it depend on your day? When did you stop taking the shakes twice a day? I'm just curious. Sorry so many questions! I got one more! Is it alright to eat the beef and broccoli once in a while? I wasnt sure if the sauce was loaded with sugar or not. I still havent ventured out with sampling sugar so I'm afraid of trying new things. Well thanks so much for your feed back!
Tam
on 6/12/06 3:26 am - Richmond, VA
Hi! I am almost 14 months out and I still have at least one protein shake every day...first thing in the morning. It makes my day a lot easier and I feel better. Sometimes I have another protein supplement at lunch...just depends on what I am doing that day. My cousin is 21 years out (yes, I typed that correctly) and he still does a shake every day. As for going out...like Tammy George said. If I go to subway I just buy a scoop or two of the tuna. It is usually sold for $1.00 a scoop. Arbys and I do not agree at all (maybe since I worked there as a teenager and I know the nutrition stats) and chinese does not do well, either. I do not eat rice or noodles at all and if I do eat there then I prder it wothout the msg and that seems to help it settle. I go for pork or beef and broccoli the most or some chicken of some sort. McD's salads do in a pinch and Italian goes well as long as I stay away from the noodles. Tammy C
melody80
on 6/12/06 11:12 pm - Remington, VA
Tammy, I didnt know you can buy a coop of tuna. Thats great! I havent tried the tuna outside of home because I thought maybe it was made with real mayo, not light. Wow 21 years out! That is incredible! Has your cousin had success keeping his/her weight off for all those years? That is so inspiring! Well thanks for the protein advice...I'm definetly going to stick with them for a long time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views