Fried Shrimp Anyone?

Linda Y.
on 6/11/06 7:49 am - Portsmouth, VA
Okay, this is I'm sure, a dumb question, but is 4 months out too soon for fried shrimp? I have family flying in from Texas & we want to take them out for a seafood dinner in Nags Head, NC. I know broiled shrimp is better, but they cook those in butter, so is it really better than fried? Anastasia
Amy B.
on 6/11/06 10:53 am - Hampton Roads, VA
I'm pre-op so somebody more experienced would be better to answer you but from the "education" I've been getting I would say maybe to continue to hold off on fried items for a while. I know that I still have my gall bladder so I have to take a medication called actigal for the first six months and from what I read, that's because there is such a high rate of fat flushing out of the system at one time that it's really hard on the gall bladder and there's a greater potential of developing stones......which they say is a pain like no other when the gall bladder becomes inflammed to the point of having to be removed. And I think if your gall bladder is gone you have to watch the fried stuff anyway. The other thing I've been hearing on this board and from friends who've had the surgery is don't try anything new this early in the game unless you are at home. If the breading or the grease disagreed with you it would be a shame to ruin your nice time with family. BUT the good news is I've heard that fairly early in the game, steamed shrimp is a safe bet and a great value in the protein department. I don't think any question is silly....we all (especially those of us just about to "cross over" have to rethink these things now....and for a while until they become engrained in us as habit. If you try the friend shrimp let us know how it goes for you!!! Amy
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/06 11:11 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Sweety I would stay away from Fried . Ask the waiter if the cook could broil it or pan sear it with out the butter . I find when I ask them .. they will prepare it once i say my lifestyle will not allow butter . You could also do steamed shrimp .. these are awesome .. and so much better for you .. Have fun ! Nat
TammyNVA
on 6/12/06 10:08 am - Chesterfield, VA
How about grilled Shrimp?! I love um that way, and no added fat! Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views