What to bring?!

Christine Hood
on 5/29/06 11:38 am - Fort Eustis, VA
I feel like such a dummy! I know this has been posted about a billion times but I went to pack my bag and aside from my toothbrush and a change of clothes, my bag is empty...and so is my head...any reminders?? Thanks Christine
Sharon Q.
on 5/29/06 11:48 am - Fredericksburg, VA
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, a bathrobe maybe, some slippers that are easy to put on. I only wore the hospital stuff the 1st day, then I wore sweat pants and a sweatshirt (it was Jan.). I bring a book to every surgery, but never read it cuz I'm so drugged up I can't even focus. Maybe some nice perfume so you remember what you used to smell like when you cared about that sort of thing. LOL You really don't need much, and that's the truth of it. The hospital supplies you with more than the Holiday Inn!!! (No offense David....LOL) XOOXOXOOXOXOOXOXO Sharon
Christine Hood
on 5/29/06 12:23 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Thanks Sharon! I was wondering about a sweatshirt...should I do a zip up because of the IV? As you can tell, I've never done this hospital thing and don't want to bring the wrong thing and end up uncomfortable. Christine
Stephanie M.
on 5/29/06 12:03 pm - Moncks Corner, SC
Chapstick...or even better...some Vaseline lip therapy. Have someone put it on you even if you are unconscious...LOL...you will be glad they did! Love, Stephanie
Christine Hood
on 5/29/06 12:24 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Thanks Stephanie! I have some MAC lip treatment stuff that I am planning to pack. Appreciate the advice! Christine
Ernurse323
on 5/29/06 12:10 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Okay Party Princess... My suggestion for you is to BRING with you someone to room in with you the entire time you are there. That way if you need help or need anything that person is right by your side to assist your helpless little self !!!! (And you will be/feel that way at first. It is best if you have someone help you get around and to WALK, WALK, WALK !!) That was the smartest thing I did for myself. Bring your soft soap.... like I use Tone Coconut Rose. If you don't have any, I will bring it to you...You"ll need some aromatherapy. May I come visit you? Some people are very private with stuff like this. Me, I didn't care.... You are going to want to sleep. Please ask the nurses WHAT they are giving you and if something doesn't seem right speak up...WITH ANYTHING !!! I worked very hard for my RN title and degrees, but I wonder where half of these nurses obtained their education nowadays !!! I guess there are some bad in every profession. My last night I asked for a popsickle..a SF one like all the other WLS patients were eating. About 20 minutes after I had it I felt like my guts were going to explode out of my as* ...Wouldn't you know..the nurse gave me a regular popsickle??????? When I asked her if it was SF, she said,"No...It was fat free and it wouldn't make me gain weight !!!!!!!" It was terrible !!!! Sentara should have compensated me for her error somehow..but ya know it doesn't work like that. Dana
Christine Hood
on 5/29/06 12:22 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Hey Dana, Think I may have to change my name from Princess Christine to Party Princess in honor of you . That's kinda catchy! Anyway, my mom is going to be there...she is coming in from New York Wednesday night and I think she will be stuck there unless she decides to drop boatloads of money on cabs...guess she will be my hostage . I have some Tone Body Wash packed and I'm hoping I get to use it in the shower but not counting on that part...but at least I can take a bird bath in it (They are going to wish they just let me get in the shower because I will probably end up soaking the bathroom attempting to get in what feels as much like a shower as I can! LOL! Anyway, visitors are always welcome! I will be in Norfolk General (River Pavillion). It's either the 3rd or 4th floor whatever the bariatric unit is (can't remember...still trying to remember the difference between my ar$e and 1st base these days). My surgery is Friday morning at 9am so I am guessing that visits before late afternoon Friday would be a waste. They said that I would get out either Saturday night or Sunday morning. I will be sure to take your advice and ask about anything and everything they give me. Thanks girl! Christine
cheryl_jagow
on 5/30/06 10:18 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
I am going Saturday morning to see christine. If anyone wants to get together and go. Just let me know.
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/06 8:22 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Christine - *I* found that the less I took with me, the better!! ..and NO, for once Im not being a sarcastic brat, honest! Over the years Ive seen updates on profiles with lists that were 20 and 25 items long. More times then not, if you read their journal updates after surgery you'll find they barely used a fraction of what was packed. Here is a simplified list of things I actually USED while I was there in the hospital for five days (open RNY) 1) Chapstick (especially if you have an NG tube) 2) Toothbrush / paste (unless your hospital has a welcome kit - many do) 3) Phone card (to make long distant calls - most hospitals don't allow cell phones in the rooms) 4) WEAR something very loose and comfy TO the hospital that you can ALSO wear home. Keep in mind, you might have drains and you're going to want little to NO restriction around the stomach area. I wore a sundress. 5) Comb or brush (unless your hospital provides a welcome kit) 6) Something to read - assuming you want too? I took a book and a magazine but NEVER read anything, just looked at the pictures and played with MrHappyButton (pain button)! 7) Tampons or Pads - although the hospital supplies them, they are the size of freakn skateboards. Surgeries can cause a woman to menstruate - even if she's just finished her cycle (case in point? ME!). 8) For the ride home, have your mom bring a PILLOW. You'll probably want to have it as a cushion for your belly with the bumps in the drive. Good luck to you, sweet friend - it's a very exciting period in your life and Im sure you're on euphoric sorta high right now! Love - Lei
Christine Hood
on 5/30/06 10:26 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Thank you ma'am! I appreciate the big ole list! Never even thought about a calling card...guess I thought I'd b able to use the cell...oh man! Better go dig one up! Love ya! Christine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views