DexaScan and Mammogram - results!

Michele R.
on 5/17/06 10:28 pm - Pittsfield, MA
Lei....Isn't it nice to have others to say that they have had the same things go on as you especially when you are nervous about it? Sounds like you got some ok results though. I bet your trip wasn't the most fun but on the flip side you got some good exercise! best of luck to you with the following tests and btw I had to have some ultrasounds on my breasts too....as I had a breast reduction when I was 15y/o there were some questionable lumps which were scar tissue after all! The 24 hours from one appt to the next was a lifetime for me. I was so scared as I looked at my little ones. Hugs! Shele
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 5:31 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Shele - ABSOLUTELY - having "like experiences" makes any journey in life, so much EASIER! Thank you for sharing your story with me, as well. I have to wonder why the doctor (nor nurse) felt like adding ...."the odds are extremely good, it's a build up or scar tissue" even if they didn't want to put a percentage on it. Im kinda surprised they left it as an either/or ...which pretty much translates to 50/50. Whereas, from the responses Ive gotten so far, it sounds more like 90/10, in MY favor! I have a feeling I'm going to be an expert on boobage before this night of "googling" is over! Hugs - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 5:22 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Kat ~ ...I know all about the "studying lil freak" aspect of it, Im starting a cheat sheet of tips Ive rec'd and Im gonna be doing the GOOGLE stuff the rest of the night, methinks. In ALL honesty - I truly believe things are "okay" ....but damn if that UNKNOWN factor doesnt start whispering to the other voices in my head, when things are getting too quiet, ya know? So, I figure the more I research, the less unknown there is and as of next Monday - it'll hopefully be a DONE thing! Thanks for the positive thoughts - hugs, Lei
Kathy & Rich
on 5/17/06 10:27 pm - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Lei! I have micro-calcifications. It is not unusual to have them. Had them call me back after a mammogram a couple of years ago for more pictures (I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille). So, every year I've been going to a comprehensive exam where I get the results right then and there. I think what they look for with calcifications is a certain pattern to them. The pattern could be indicative of breast cancer having been in that area. Good luck with the next mammogram/sonogram or whatever they choose to do. Hopefully all will be well! Given your lack of information on your family history, please air on the side of caution and push the doctors to do a biopsy should they even have the remotest thought that what they see "might be something". I implore you to push hard! Everyone, please learn from my sister. They were doing mammograms/sonograms every 6 months on her - obviously watching something but with no family history of breast cancer they didn't recommend a biopsy. They were going to just have her come back in yet another 6 months but she said to her physician... "I feel a little tiny rough edge by my nipple. Can't we just do a biopsy and then move on." Well, you know the results of that biopsy. I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else. The stress and pain from a biopsy is a small price to pay for peace of mind knowing that it was nothing. Congratulations on your fabulous Dexascan! I hope that my next one next year shows great improvement. My scan from last August showed osteopenia - this is NOT from the bypass but from my parathyroid adenoma (tumor). Now that is gone and my calcium and PTH levels are completely and utterly normal. My endo said that my bones will now be hungry because of the parathyroid issues and will rebuild. I'm hoping so! I get my next Dexascan a year from my parathyroid surgery so February 2007. What's with all the doctor's appointments? You are getting far too like me! Stop that! Hugs to ya, Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 5:46 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Kathy wrote: "What's with all the doctor's appointments? You are getting far too like me! Stop that!" Girl? It's that COMPETITIVE side of me, I can't help it - I see someone excelling in something and I just wanna be smack dab in the middle of the mud with 'em! Soooooooooo - wanna compare hospital gowns? hmmm? I had a very STYLISH (greenish black plaid pattern with blue flowers every 10 squares, or so) and oh so very SEDUCTIVE (cotton so thin from too many washes, you could see through it). Oh and as an added bonus?... several frayed areas for additional exposure. They probably cost a buck a gown, in bulk, and yet this one had been used so many times you could read through it, c'mon!!! [whistling]....I did what they couldn't bring themselves to do. I threw it in the trash instead of the clothes bin, figured Id save another lady from the absurdity. Thank you so much for the great information (more research stuff added to my list) and the very important tip, in reference to your sisters situation. I whole heartedly agree and you can bet I'll PUSH for more diagnosis if I don't feel comfortable with how things pan out. Hugs - Lei
Betsy Anitahug
on 5/17/06 10:54 pm - Danville, VA
My Sweet Lei....How you do keep your humor and positive outlook, and that is one of the reasons I love you so much. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure that as Tink said, things will be just fine. It sure doesn't help not knowing though. If you want to talk, you know how to get me gf....I am here for you always.... Hugs Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 6:11 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Betsy!! I'd planned on doing some research on calcium build up in the breast tissue, but now I have some actual examples and technical terms/names of stuff to research. That's going to help a LOT! Between the posts to the board and the private emails, I'm convinced it's very common and that's the way Im going to approach it, until I hear otherwise! Thanks for the kind words and positive thoughts, it's much appreciated! Hugs - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 11:06 pm - Remington, VA
Lei, Yet another common bond between us "tiny pouch people" who are women. The girls! I too had to have mine poked prodded and flattened to a pancake, this past December. My pcm found a lump and sent me to BethesdaNMC breast care center to have the deed done. The surgeon's couldn't feel the lump, but sent me for a mammo anyway. I'm 35. My maternal aunt died of breast cancer when she was 39. So believe me I was scared! But mine are just lumpy breasts, fibroids. I'll keep you in my payers that you are healthier then even your dexascan says you are! Kirsten
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 6:14 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
LOL - Kristen, so when are us "tinytummy" peeps gonna finally have something like "WINNING A LOTTERY" in common? hmmmm? Surely it can't ALL be health related! Of course, to win the lottery, I have to remember to play it - and I don't. Thanks for feedback and your positive thoughts, sweet lady! Hugs - Lei
cheryl_jagow
on 5/18/06 12:05 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
Awww lei!!!! I hope everything is good for you and I have added you to my prayer list!!! I cant give any advise on mammograms because I have never had one. I have a good vibe that everything will work out for you!!!!!. Hugs cheryl
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views