DexaScan and Mammogram - results!

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 8:24 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Sheeeee'yat that place is freakn HUGE - inside it's an absolute MAZE (not so amazing). I didn't get lost driving there, but once I got into the shell of the building ALL bets were off. Of course, Mammography and Endocrinology are on separate floors opposite ends of the buildings, it's a shame I didn't have my Pedometer strapped on! I underestimated traffic (there was NONE) and got there an HOUR early - but by the time I planted my butt in a chair in the correct lobby, I had 15 minutes to spare. An hour and a half later, they're still pressing and clicking and pressing and clicking on the girls (mammogram appmnt). The techie, nurse and doc seemed somewhat concerned with all the "junk" they kept looking at on BOTH breasts and finally said ..... "Well, it could be calcium build up, or it could be cancerous!" WTFrick?!?!?! How's that for definitive? By that time, I'm late for my DexaScan appmnt (same hospital opposite ends, of course), so they call upstairs and get that squared away and decide they want to take more pictures but this time, magnify all the white spots -- once those are redone they can view the larger frames and decide if a biopsy is next. So I have a follow up appmt scheduled for next Monday, the girls will get squished and prodded and a second doc is going to take a look, we'll see. Good news on the DexaScan - levels are in the high end of NORMAL! The nurse doing the scan read in my charts that I'd had the gastric bypass and we started talking about it. She's been considering gastric bypass (cool huh?) with Dr. Lord, but was still wrestling with the pro's and con's, INCLUDING calcium/bone deficiencies. When I told her how far out I was (3.5 years) and that I was a *distal* RNY she was SHOCKED. To quote her? "I had the bone density of an average 30 year old!!" ...cool! LOL - I vow (to try and) never complain, again, as Im pitchin' back the citrate pills 4 times a day. Because I now have proof positive, it's working!! Not too sure what to think about the "either calcium build up or cancer" statement with the mammogram - the logical side of me say's its probably nothing - lord knows I take a LOT of that calcium stuff. So Im gonna focus on the positive, unfortunately, not always as easy to do as say. Who the heck knows, unfortunately I have NO clue what my complete family history is like They asked me THREE times if it ran in my family and I could only assure them NO, not on my dad's side. I don't know anything about my "real" mom or her side of the family and unfortunately, that's where they track things like "breast cancer". So, if runs amuck in our family line, it'll be news to me and my sister! I also saw Trish - she's doing great. There is a better then good chance they'll be inducing labor, next week, Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll post more to the board in a NEW thread (when I get back home from my 7:45 doctors appoitment) and if you gals and guys want to toss your "well wishes" into the NEW thread, that'll be great. I'll print it and take it to the hospital on Monday when I go back for my Mammo. Please don't toss your well wishes to TRISH, in this thread! I don't want "MY" ramblings to take away from HER moment as she's reading it, ya know? Hugs - Lei (who's running out the door for yet ANOTHER doc appmnt, ugh!)
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 8:30 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
I do not know if you remember this . But just prior to my RNY I had to get a mamogram . Same results as you . They found what appeared to be Nodules . The term was Calcified Nodules . They warranted further studies . When I did get to a surgeon he laughed at me and said .. Well sweety your lymph nodes have fallen into your breast .. and that is what they are seeing . The calcifications are normal . This scared the crap out of me but was so relieved with the follow up . Many cases of calcification in woman our age .. Mature .. beautiful woman .. are just that ... it is our girls drying up ... and more than likely is not cancer . But you must as you know get this checked out . Try not to worry sweets... I know it will be great results . I am glad to hear about your dexa scan as well . Love you and will talk to you soon .. Natalie
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 4:42 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Natalie - It was great talking to you this morning, albeit the instigator (Keith's condition) wasn't the best of reasons. I also read your recent update and Im glad to hear the hospital is being MORE stubborn then Keith and keeping his butt planted in a bed!!! Thanks for the info on the calcifications - Ive gotten a lot of great feeback on this post and im starting a list of stuff to do research on, Calci's are at the top o the list. Hugs and love - Lei (who's getting spoiled with having you OFF work!)
Shanana
on 5/17/06 8:38 pm - Altavista, VA
Glad the Dexa came out great. Got to make myself pop more of them lovely pills. Hope they wont hurt your girls too much next week. Good to see you are taking care of yourself. Hope the appt today goes well. Have a great day!! Shannon
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 4:45 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Shannon - I have to admit, of ALL the vitamins I take (20+) ...the CITRATES are the ones I grumble the most about. Probably because I do it 4 times a day, to max out at 2000, but I plan on cutting back on the griping! Figure if I can actually SEE results it's a lot less of a chore, ya know? Keep poppin' them, YOU and your bones are worth it! Hugs ~ Lei
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 9:53 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Lei - I am actually going through this same ordeal!! I am on my next check up. It seems like every time I have a mammorgram I have to have ultra sound, follow ups, etc. Nothing is easy. But so far so good -- and the same will be for you! I just know it. So does the Dexascan mean that your calcium level is good? Did you increase your calcium? How much are you taking now? I think that is an area that I am not real good at. love donna
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 5:16 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Donna ~ The DexaScan tracks the bone density and deterioration, if any. It's SO VERY IMPORTANT we get a baseline DexaSacn and then continuous testing, at least every two years, there after. What some people might not realize is that you canNOT tell if you're having a deficiency just through blood/lab work! In fact, by the time it shows up in your blood work, you've already got irreversible damage. Our bodies are designed to heal, repair, and save it self. So IF you're not taking a supplement calcium (citrate), faithfully, then your body will start to steal it from your bones. I'm NO expert in this area, but what Ive read/heard is that once it's gone it's gone, you can't replace it, you can only hope to MAINTAIN what you still have left. Your lab work could show it's in the normal ranges but the entire time it's because your body is taking it from areas that cannot afford to give it up. Please talk to your doc about getting one done, okay? Technically, just based on age, it should be part of your protocol - now, after gastric bypass, it should be a prolly be a priority. As far as my routine for calcium citrate, I do a minimum of 1500 a day (been known to forget a dose) but more times then not, I average 2000. Taking 500 every two hours, due to increase absorption. You can do it!! ...the last thing you want is all this new found energy and health, just to be confined to a chair or bed, because of brittle bones. love - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 7:30 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Lei, thank you for this message. Is a Dexascan the same as a bone density test?? What kind of calcium do you take? I mean the brand name. Thank you so much for this information. I think I have gotten lax with calcium. And with the way I stumble around anymore I can't afford to break any bones!! You always give such good information. I think I heard somewhere before that your body takes the calcium it needs and if you don't give it to it it will get it where it can, your bones. I just needed to hear it again. So tell me if it's a bone density test or something different, and I'll call tomorrow for an appointment. love you!! donna
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/06 8:44 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Donna, Yep - it's one and the same. I truly am NOT an expert, so I reverified that on google: BELOW is some info that was helpful in understanding how the bone loss and growth works. Including the Dexascan and what it does. It absolutely comes with NO pain, none, nada, zip - all you do is stretch out on a cushy table with a cushy pillow and your knees are propped, they scan your body and snap photos (with me it was my hip, my spine from the top and from the side view) As far as the calcium goes, I take ANY that say it's 100% citrate - Im not partial or loyal to any specific brand, as long as ONE dose doesnt mean taking more then two pills at one time, im interested. You want the "one does" to equal at least 500 mgs - a lot of them, come in at 600 mgs per two pills. Still space that every two hours. The one Im currently using is from Sams - they're Members Mark brand, 400 tablets, which is 200 doses at 500 mgs, costs about $7 or $8. Ive also tried from various sources, calcium chewables, and calcium creams (walmart and target is a good source, or a local health food store) ....the new calcium creams are "okay" ...I can't stand either of the chocolate flavors, but the caramel and lemon are good enough. I use that sometimes, just to mix up the PILL POPPING routine. Okay - on that note, Im gonna send this over and get off the puter. Paul just got home and dinner's calling our name. Love you - hugs, ME ..... . . . . . . . DEXASCAN - Bone Density Article: Building--and Keeping--Healthy Bones Bone health isn't something we can observe, nonetheless it's an important part of staying well. Taking steps to preserve stable bones can pay off, particularly as we age and begin to lose strength. Throughout our lives, bone is continually absorbed and removed while new bone is rebuilt. Before age 35 the rate bone disappears is equal to the rate of bone being rebuilt. As a result, our bone strength remains stable. The picture begins to change radically after age 35, and in the case of women, especially during and after menopause. In this period, the pace of bone absorption and removal is faster than the rate at which bone is restored. This pattern of rapid bone loss is known as osteoporosis. Bone loss associated with aging is more common in women than men. If bone loss continues, bones become weak and can easily fracture. Significant bone deficiency can also lead to a loss of height. Although bone loss is a natural part of aging, steps can be taken to ensure that bones remain healthy and strong late into life. And unlike in the past, we don't have to wait until a debilitating fracture has occurred before identifying and treating this problem. Today, a DexaScan can measure bone density and detect bone loss early. And this early detection of bone loss can help prevent osteoporosis. A DexaScan is a low-dose X-ray that checks an area of the body such as the hip, hand, or foot for signs of mineral loss and bone thinning. . . . .
Kitty Kat
on 5/17/06 10:11 pm - Richmond, VA
Morning Lei, I love to read posts like this. They are imformative and helpful. I'm 28 and I'm not quite to the age range to have a Mammo done but I am concerned about it and Calcium issues and arming myself (and others like you are doing) is the BEST thing! I've become a studying lil freak lately. I'm becoming a "sponge" like my husband. I'm sucking up all kinds of stuff. Now retaining it??? Let's just say I'm tryin'! You are right it's tough to focus on the positives when we are unsure but trying is all we can do. You are in my thoughts and prayers as always and I'm sure your follow up will be positive. Hugs, Kat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views