QUESTION ABOUT DUMPING

cheryl_jagow
on 5/17/06 1:44 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
I DONT WANT TO SAY I DONT DUMP, BECAUSE IM NOT SURE IF I DUM*****T. I HAVEN'T THROWN UP AT ALL SINCE MY SURGERY. I HAVE TESTED DIFFERENT FOODS TO SEE IF IT WOULD HAPPEN AND NOTHING. IF I EAT SAY FOR INSTANCE SOME WHEAT THINS (IM THINKING ITS TO MUCH CARBS & FAT) I GET REALLY SLEEPY..... WHEN I EAT SOMETHING WITH TO MUCH FAT I GET SLEEPY... THE OTHER NIGHT I WAS AT A BONKO GAME THERE WAS A BOWL OF CHOCOLATE COVERED RAISINS. I DIDN'T THINK TWICE BEFORE I KNEW I WAS EATING AT LEAST 10. I STOPPED BECAUSE THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EATEN CHOCOLATE COVERED ANYTHING SINCE SURGERY. AND IF IT WAS MY TIME TO THEN I DEFIANTLY DIDN'T WANT TO AT THE PARTY. BUT I DIDN'T GET SICK, I DIDN'T GET SLEEPY ANYTHING. I DIDN'T EAT ANYMORE, BECAUSE I KNOW NOT TO. SOMETIMES I EVEN FORGET I EVEN HAD SURGERY, UNTIL I GO EAT A MEAL AND I CAN ONLY EAT A LITTLE.... SO ANYWAYS IS THAT DUMPING? I DONT GET HEART PALPITATIONS, I DONT THROW UP, I DONT GET SWEAT. I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. BUT I THINK MY QUESTION IS THE REACTION OF SLEEPINESS IS THAT DUMPING? I EAT HEALTHY FOODS AND I KNOW TO KEEP EATING HEALTHY AND TAKE ALL MY VITAMINS. I HAVE LOST A TOTAL OF 56 LBS SINCE FEB 22, AND I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK TO BEING WHERE I WAS!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 1:49 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
The sleepiness is the carb overload . And the fat's too . That can also bog you down . Dumping can be any of the symptoms you described . Sometimes there is cramping in the lower abdomen too . I would def consider the sleepiness a sign of carb overload . I know what you mean about wheat thins.. OMG I love those things . and if I eat anymore than 10 .. My a... is asleep at my desk .. can not hold my eyes open . You are doing excellent sweety ... ! Way to go on the pounds gone ! Hugs, Natalie
Kitty Kat
on 5/17/06 1:53 am - Richmond, VA
Hiya Cheryl, I'm 3.5 years post op and I get very sleepy and at times have to lay down and let it pass when I eat too fast, too much and those foods/drinks that aren't as healthy a choice as I could really make. I rarely throw up anymore but at times things get stuck and then sleepiness and down right feeling BLAH sets in. That IS dumping for me. Just remind yourself of the choices you are making when it comes to eating even at parties and such where we don't have control over what will be available to us. Try to bring your purse/bag stocked with things you CAN have/tolerate. Remind yourself of how you feel when you eat something or drink something for that matter. Is it worth feeling that way? Not so much! Congrats on the 56 lb! Hugs, Kat
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/06 7:54 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Cheryl - The ONLY "reactions" I had to carb/fat or sugar overload is that it would leave me sleepy! Really pissed me off, in all reality, because Im a SUGAR-****PUPPY!! I'd be thrilled if the 4 food groups all included tons and tons of sugar! One of the reasons I hoped the RNY would work so well for me was the "dumping" factor. They say that 70% of people dump (barf kinda dumping) I absolutely DISAGREE!!! I know hundreds, heck, thousands of RNY'ers that do NOT dump at all, other then to yawn, in between bites. Like me! So, yes, in a long drawn out way - sleepiness after carb overload (or sugars) is indeed a "version" of dumping - which to me is NO punishment at all. I mean how bad is that? Eat - go take a nap. Uh, okay, sign me up! Hugs - Lei
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views