Self-Diagnosis of Side Pain Confirmed!

Kathy & Rich
on 5/16/06 4:31 am - Fairfax, VA
Yes, all my playing around as a doctor on the internet did indeed yield the proper diagnosis for my side pain. The diagnosis is one: costochondritis. It is basically inflammation of the cartilage by the rib cage. In my case, rib number 12 to be exact which is near the bottom and off to the side. When aggravated (every day for the past 2 months and counting), it makes my whole side ache. The pain started last September and lasted til November and faded away but resurfaced in March and has now been here for the past 2 months. Every day I wake up pain free, move around and eventually the pain starts. It hates my car seat which I have very upright due to my back issues and that usually gets it going. My doctor said it is because my rib cage is stretched when I sit that way. I've had a ton of tests for this to find out it wasn't part of the revised plumbing but simply part of the skeletal system. Not sure why it is flared up. This can be caused by a virus but since I haven't been sick since long before WLS - that's not it. I haven't done any coughing at all so that didn't cause it. And no injuries that I can think of. So I'm at a loss for what started it in the first place and why it went away nor why it came back now. What does one do for costochondritis? There isn't much to be done. You cannot really rest your ribs... they move by the simple act of breathing. Anti-inflammatories would be an option but aren't an options for us post-ops so there goes that. I will add fish oil (CorOmega - emulsified) into my diet for it's natural anti-inflammatory properties and we'll see. Ice or heat can be an option but not alot of help. My doctor looked sad when she said there wasn't anything really to do (I can take tylenol). She says the condition tends to ebb and flow (come and go). She looked and said "Is there something I CAN do for you today... need some bloodwork" and we both laughed pretty hard. Bless her. Nice lady. I did get my 1 year bloodwork done today while I was there. Needless-to-say, while I was expecting this to be the diagnosis... I was hoping there were more treatment options. I will be exploring chiropractic care and acupuncture. Have a doc in each of this ilks and I'll try whatever because the pain sucks. I want to thank everyone for their support through the ups and downs with this. Everyone has been so great and sympathetic and concerned. It has been greatly, greatly appreciated. Love, Kathy
kabarron1
on 5/16/06 4:44 am - Hopewell, VA
Kathy, WOW?! I can't believe you're coming up on your 1 yr Re-Birthday already!!! It just doesn't seem like its been that long ago! Man! Congrats. Also, I'm glad to see that atleast you were able to nail down the problem. I remember you had to go through a gambit of tests trying to determine what it was. Hopefully the fish oil will do the trick for you. Best of luck in your continued journey. Keith
Kathy & Rich
on 5/16/06 6:32 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Keith! Yep, it'll be a year on Saturday. Been a wild ride in many ways. Love your new pics (especially the one with that cute little Holly). You look fabulous! Hugs, Kathy
turtlegirl
on 5/16/06 4:46 am - In the middle of the woods, VA
Kathy, I'm so glad you found out what is wrong, and I am so very sorry for the pain you live with. I can relate to pain - having both MS and Fibromyalgia. I also Dxed myself before the doctors could figure it out - I think when it is "us" going through it, we are more invested in finding the cause and answers than the docs (at least that was my experience), although your doctor sounds very nice. I would definitely explore the chiropractic and acupuncture routes. I have heard and read many good things about both for relieving pain - I just don't know enough about your specific type of pain to know whether either of those could give you some needed relief. You know, now that you have a Dx, it IS easier..... in the sense that when it has a name you can deal with it somehow. It may not change the outcome necessarily, but there is a mental and emotional shift when you can put a name to it. I will keep you in my prayers..... Crsytal
Kathy & Rich
on 5/16/06 6:35 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Crystal! Wow, you have been through/are going through so very much. My surgeon/doctor definitely ran me through a zillion tests and was determined to figure it out. Little did I know it was always right there. I definitely won't sit back and grin and bear it. I'll try whatever is out there to get relief. I'm sure you know more than me what it feels like to have chronic pain issues. It definitely can suck. LOL! Thanks again, Kathy
Ms Court
on 5/16/06 4:55 am - Remington, VA
Kathy it is good to hear you at least finally got an answer. It really stinks that there isn't much to do about it though. Hopefully alternative medicine will help. Courtney
Kathy & Rich
on 5/16/06 6:36 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Courtney! I hope it helps too! Kathy
Chyanne2u
on 5/16/06 6:14 am - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Kathy, I am so glad you finally found what was causing you the pain. What really sucks is the fact that you don't have that many options for treatment. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and hope that you go into some kind of remission from the pain. Do try those other two options for the pain. I dislocated a rib (won't say how) LOL but at any rate, it was very painful. I went to the chiropractor and he put it back without any problems at all. It was still painful for a few weeks but at least it wasn't excruciating. Can't take pain like that for very long!!! As for the sympathetic ears and all the concern that's come your way........it's what we are all here for. You take it easy and try not to aggravate your rib. Easier said than done. I know I know........ Love ya bunches, Kathy
Kathy & Rich
on 5/16/06 6:39 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Kathy. I won't ask about your rib. LOL! Funny, I saw the chiro last week and he was convinced it was my liver for some reason. Nope. I see him again tomorrow. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers! Love, Kathy
Christina R.
on 5/16/06 6:34 am - Reston, VA
Kathy- I hope that your pain will "ebb away" soon so that you can experience some relief. Take care, Christina S.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views