Food Blahs?!

ElizabethC
on 5/14/06 11:21 pm - Wirtz, VA
I am having a tough time eating anything. I've simply lost desire for food-thought that could NEVER happen to me!! The smell, sight and taste of anything food and drink just doesn't spark anything in me any more. I know I have to eat, but it has become a chore, like laundry or mopping. Has anyone experienced this?? Right now I am having to force myself to eat, but am only managing up to 500 cals a day. My energy levels seem okay for now, but I am worried I am headed for a crash soon. Any suggestions/ideas?? Elizabeth
Michele R.
on 5/14/06 11:35 pm - Pittsfield, MA
Elizabeth..you should call your doc. Though I have heard this is normal still call. If you can't eat maybe up your protein shakes...make them yummy for you like a icy or milkshake! Hope you get some professional help w/ this soon..you don't want to end up in bad shape. Though I have done a LOT of reading maybe some of the post ops who have more time under their belts can help you better. Hugs! shele
newme2
on 5/14/06 11:52 pm - Woodford, VA
Elizabeth: Hello. I am one month and 5 days out from surgery, and I have issues eating too. My big issue is Nausea. It is so bad at times, then I bottom out...so I have resorted back to liquid, protein shakes, etc. My hubby tries to push all that in me, and keep my protein up, as well as keeping hydrated. I am trying to manage this morning with the nausea as well, so I am eating...sipping a protein shake. Whatever will keep me going... I cannot even do simple chores, bc I am so nauseated. Hope this helps you know, you arent the only one.... Stephanie 421/394/371/?
Tam
on 5/15/06 3:23 am - Richmond, VA
Elizabeth, Yes, I think this is normal. I know I went through it and still do on some days. For the first 11 and a half months I was lucky to get 500 calories in each day. I was having three protein shakes a day and some string cheese for the protein and sometimes some tuna or egg salad if I could manage it. Most days the thought of food still makes me sick but I know if I do not do what I am supposed to do then my body will attack and eat my muscles for energy. I have seen this happen to people and I refuse to sit by and let it happen to me. I believe that I have to take control of my own situation. I am now up to about 700 calories a day (most days that is) and I feel better. My weight loss has slowed (I am assuming because of my added calories, but I am below goal and almost at my "ideal" weight for my height so it could be this reason, too). I add fresh or frozed fruit to my protein shakes to help them taste better and I still have two a day, every day. The ones I drink ar 28 grams each. I have been trying to consume 40-50 grams of protein through food. We all have our off days and will not be able to get it all in but we need to try and get as much as possible in our bodies every day. After a year the hunger is supposed to slowly come back. I have not really hit that yet, but I am just over a year out so I guess it will be here soon for me. I also know that with the amounts of water we drink it keeps us really full a lot of the time. Tammy
Betsy Anitahug
on 5/16/06 2:16 am - Danville, VA
Hi Elizabeth!!!! I am so sorry I have not been keeping up with you. Please don't worry about this blah....I have it too....I think our taste buds change and there is so many things we have to avoid. We have to be so careful....I was on a kick for awhile where I only ate chili...hormel turkey...it is really hard only cooking for one. Lately I have been eating better since I am dating again but when it is just me, it is hard to find anything I want. Please email me and let me know how you are doing...can't wait to meet you. Hugs, Betsy
Ernurse323
on 5/16/06 4:30 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Elizabeth.. I am in the same boat. Although my sweet tooth has not gone away...That is NOT good. Nothing is good...except for dessert, which is a nono. Then, when I think something WILL be good, I take a bite and it doesn't sit well. maybe it has something to do with "our strictures." Mine may be on it's way back...ignoring it for now. I am with you on the statement about not believing you would say you have the food blahs !!!! I hope it gets a "little" better for you...but not too much !!! hehehehe Hugs, Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views