This Day in History

kabarron1
on 5/9/06 11:47 pm - Hopewell, VA
Okay, I thought I might start doing this. Kathy's "Thought of the Day" gave me the inspiration. Enjoy! On this day in ... * 1775, Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys captured the British-held fortress at Ticonderoga, N.Y. * 1865, Union forces captured Confederate President Jefferson Davis in Irwinville, Ga. * 1869, a golden spike was driven at Promontory, Utah, marking the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in the United States. * 1933, the Nazis, ym"sh, staged massive public book burnings in Germany. * 1940, British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain resigned, and Winston Churchill formed a new government. * 1968, preliminary Vietnam peace talks began in Paris. * 1994, the state of Illinois executed serial killer John Wayne Gacy for the murders of 33 young men and boys. ALSO: Nelson Mandela took the oath of office to become South Africa's first black president. * 1996, two Marine helicopters collided in the dark and crashed in a swamp at Camp Lejeune, N.C., during a U.S.-British training exercise, killing 14 people. * 2001, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to withhold some back U.N. dues until the United States was reinstated on the U.N. Commission on Human Rights. ALSO: The Justice Department handed over thousands of documents it said should have been provided to Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh's attorneys --- because of the blunder, McVeigh's execution, set for May 16, was postponed. Boeing chose Chicago as the site for its new headquarters, replacing Seattle. The World Wrestling Federation announced it would fold the upstart XFL football league. * 2005, cheered by tens of thousands in the former Soviet republic of Georgia, President Bush urged the spread of democracy across the former communist world and beyond. Germany dedicated its new national Holocaust memorial.
Kitty Kat
on 5/10/06 12:03 am - Richmond, VA
Hiya Keith, I like! Hugs, Kat
kabarron1
on 5/10/06 12:05 am - Hopewell, VA
Hey back! I find stuff like that interesting probably because I like history. Keith
Kitty Kat
on 5/10/06 12:22 am - Richmond, VA
Me too well uh sometimes...I am married to the "History Sponge" he soaks up EVERYTHING about World Wars, Rev, Civil etc. Kat wants to see some shiny knives and kewl guns and flags and cannons going off...and uh it's lovely they wore wool in the summer but uh Kat hears BLAH BLAH BLAH after a while. Oh the horrors of a history lesson @ 7 am when I am TRYING to sleep.... Hugs, Kat
Ernurse323
on 5/10/06 10:35 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Wow Keith..... You have some very interesting stuff there !!! John Wayne Gacy gives me the creeps.... I didnt know he was in Illinois. Yucko !!!! Thanks..lots of kewl facts ya have on there !! How are you feeling? Dana
kabarron1
on 5/10/06 10:37 pm - Hopewell, VA
Dana, Hey back. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I'm doing well. Just taking things a day at a time and not allowing myself to get overly worked up over things I can't effect/change. Thank you for asking. Keith
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views