Recent Posts

Susan J.
on 4/16/10 4:45 am - Madison, TN
Topic: RE: Okay, Wow, Didn't Expect to be Taken in Circles??????? *LONG*

Okay, I'm going to chime in here too as someone who also deals with personal medical and insurance issues on a daily basis.

The OP could have addressed Pam in a private post and gotten private response specific to her insurance and visit.

Instead she came on here asking our opinion and experience. This did not give Pam the opening to give the specifics of "your insurance will not..." and "Dr. Houston asked us...". Because of Pam's position with the clinic she IS held to a higher level of patient privacy, even on this board.

So, yes, this is a HIPAA violation.

Susan (AKA bilsrib) 
300/135/135 - Plastics February 2008 - Dr. Lois Wagstrom

P E A C E - It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

k9ophile
on 4/16/10 4:06 am
If Pam had just come on here with  information that named a patient and gave away private information, I would agree.  However, the OP brought her business to a public place.  There are too many people who think their HIPAA rights are being violated without actually knowing what they are.  If the questions are asked with Pam in an office, behind a closed door, that is private.  In an open waiting area, that is not private.  On a public forum is way beyond private.   If she wanted a private response from Pam, she would have called her or gone to the office for a private meeting. 

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

jharrington8172
on 4/16/10 2:24 am - Hermitage, TN
You might want to go to some support groups and talk to people in person who have had each type of surgery.  This might help you in your choice.   I know there is a lapband group at CMC and we have a DS/VSG group in Hermitage and most regular support groups are packed with RNY so get out and talk to people ask about what they like what they do not like - if they could do it again would they do the same surgery or a different one.  

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

bekkiamberbethmarie
on 4/16/10 1:29 am
He did, but he didn't. It wasn't a clear opinion. That's how I've been feeling for the past 10 months, so I felt like the consult got us no where. But what it made me realize is that I have to make the decision on my own. I didn't expect him to make the decision for me, but I expected some clarity. I went in there having my heart set, and he just needed to confirm that. But he didn't, so it threw me for a whirlwind. Once I calmed down and was really able to take a step back and look at EVERYTHING, I was able to make some sound decisions. My train is moving, it's just extremely slow, right now.

Thanks again!

I am 20 years old.
I'm 5'8" tall.
My highest weight was 444lbs. 
I weighed 409 lbs on the day of surgery.
I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure performed on June 1st, 2010.
168 lbs lost since surgery, nine months ago.
***Ticker reflects weight loss since heaviest weight***
jharrington8172
on 4/16/10 12:12 am - Hermitage, TN
Topic: Cookeville Area DS group - tomorrow
The cookeville area DS group will meet tomorrow at 10 AM at the Cookeville Regional Medical Center in the Algood Conference Room.   

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

Blush
on 4/15/10 11:33 pm - Nashville, TN
As someone who has access to people's medical information I err on the side of caution, I wouldn't have responded to a public post with specific information about the patient's insurance or any thing that had been denied by her insurance. 

The OP was questioning if no meant no or if there was some other way to get her insurance company to reconsider.  I don't consider that permission for someone to discuss her information in public.  If the same discussion happened in the waiting room of the doctor's office I would consider it innappropriate and then the OP would have been addressing Pam and not just asking for advice from those of us who have been through this journey.

Lap RNY - August 12, 2008 - 365/340/193/175
melsreturn
on 4/15/10 9:53 pm, edited 4/15/10 9:55 pm - Madison, TN
Quote:?
"He didn't really have an opinion on which surgery I?should have. One minute he was pushing the Lap-Band for my age, the next he was pushing the RNY?or DS?because of my BMI?but then he went back to the Lap-Band because of my age. "

I think he did have an opinion.? In a nutshell, this was his opinion.
Your age:? Causes him to lean towards lapband
Your high bmi:? Causes him to lean towards RNY or DS

So there are several factors that play into the decision: age, bmi. It depends on which one you want to take the most into consideration. Do you want to lose the weight FAST and get the high bmi down? Then RNY or DS is your decision. If, since you are only 19, you want to go the safer and less permanent route since lapband can be removed, then that would be a decision.

So, now its up to you to weigh the pro's and con's of each procedure, and decide which of the advantages AND disadvantages that you are willing to live with the rest of your life.?

bekkiamberbethmarie
on 4/15/10 2:20 pm
Thanks so much.

You see, I wrote the thread that same night, which wasn't a good idea because I was just SO emotional, but I wanted to do it while things were fresh on my mind. After calming down a bit and really putting some thought into it and talking to my mom, she helped me see what I couldn't. For example, maybe he didn't seem enthused for the sleeve because of the lady he was having difficulty with and he didn't want to put me through that at 19 years old. But the fact of the matter is, that a leak can happen with ANY of these surgeries. And I may be 19, but I am certainly old enough, and mature enough to handle that fact.

But again, I realize all of that now. It's just that when things didn't go how I expected them to based on things I've read, my whole world kind of "came crashing down". I know that seems very over dramatic to say but I left that consultation feeling helpless, lost, and so unbelievably confused. Once I calmed down, I was able to see things how they actually were. Which is turning out to be not so bad. 

I can see where Dr. Houston is coming from, and maybe why he did or didn't do or say things.  I'm confident that he's the best surgeon for me in the Nashville area and Centennial's got a GREAT aftercare program that I would hate to lose if I went to any other hospital.

Thank you for your help!

I am 20 years old.
I'm 5'8" tall.
bekkiamberbethmarie
on 4/15/10 2:10 pm
Thank you so much! It is definitely all coming together now. And you're so right. Lost and confused is not a great time to do anything besides educate yourself. Also, talking it out helps to. Like I said before my mom is a nurse and she has been for over 25 years. So she knows about surgeons like the back of her hand and her and I sat down and had a nice long talk and I feel better now.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me calm down and "get my ducks in a row"  I really do appreciate it.

I am 20 years old.
I'm 5'8" tall.
bekkiamberbethmarie
on 4/15/10 2:04 pm
Thank you, John. We're actually looking in to that to see if they do cover the DS and if they do, then Dr. H said we have a fighting chance for them to cover the Sleeve. But I don't want to get my hopes up. I mean, is it even possible that BCBSTN covers DS just not on my specific policy?

I am 20 years old.
I'm 5'8" tall.
Most Active
Recent Topics