Rasheeda B.
on 5/16/14 4:50 am
Topic: RE: Need a girdle?

Have you tried the body magic?

Jonathin
on 4/28/14 8:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Topic: 2.5 Year Post Op Update

Hello OH!

I started my journey back in 2009 and waited a little over 2 years to finally have surgery on October 5th, 2011.  I'm 6'1" and went from 460lbs down to 230lbs and have been maintaining since, with some fluctuations and weight gains. While I had initial complications for the first few months after surgery, the procedure absolutely changed my life!  

I became the father I had always dreamed of becoming. I'm able to take her to the beach, to fairs, amusement parks. My daughter and I go bike riding, ride horses and do absolutely everything a young healthy father and daughter should always be able to do. I've become the crazy, fun dad in the playground, running around or being chased by her friends or lifting them higher on the playground equipment. She always tells me that her friends keep saying they want me as their dad. I have always been proud of her and always loved being her father, but it's another deeper emotion to know when your kid is equally as proud of you.

There are way too many NSVs to even list. My whole lifestyle changed. I bought a boat, jeep and motorcycle for the summers. We go down to the lake or river every weekend and go swimming several times a week. I built out a downstairs gym complete with squat rack, bench, olympic plates, treadmill, punching bags. I still focus on a high protein intake (shakes and supplements) and try my best to maintain a very low carb diet. Over the winter, I signed up with the volunteer fire department where we live. For the past 5 months, my extra time has been dominated by firefighter training, responding to calls and trying to make a difference in our community. None of this would have been possible had it not been for the surgery. I sometimes wake up and think I'm living someone else's life.

I wish I could express how grateful I am to have gone through the procedure and had a second chance for beginning a new life. I don't come by the OH forums too much anymore. Although I will never forget the forever friendships I've forged and the people who helped me achieve this new life.

Hope you all are doing well, wherever you are in your own journey.

Jonathan

RNY - 10/05/2011

k9ophile
on 4/15/14 1:18 pm
Topic: RE: HELP

I hear ya!  That was a stickler for me as well.  I can't imagine that the Blues will budge.  The only way I was able to comply was that I got very, very sick and lost that 10%.  Sad, but true.  I don't recommend that you get sick, but I do feel your pain. I had co-workers that gave up.  Hope you're successful. 

RRach
on 4/15/14 2:05 am
Topic: RE: Memphis, TN??

Awesome!! I am having my RNY done with Dr. Weaver in the same office. I am still Pre-Op. I am currently doing the liver shrinking diet though. I am very closeeeeee!! :)

CONGRATS on your 39 lb weight loss!! Wow!! WTG! :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

nfoy413
on 4/15/14 1:15 am - Memphis, TN
Topic: RE: Memphis, TN??

Cordova here!  I had the RNY through the St. Francis Bariatric Center of Excellence -- Dr Wegner.  I has my surgery on March 18th, so I am starting my 5th week post-op now and feel really good!  The first few weeks was tough, sore, gas, and so much to learn.  But now things are starting to gell well.  I am down 39 lbs since beginning my journey!

RRach
on 4/15/14 1:08 am
Topic: Memphis, TN??

Calling all of the Memphis folks?? :) What surgery did you have done or looking to have done? Who did you use? What did you think? :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

jasoncline82
on 3/31/14 9:38 am

Called my BCBS case manager this morning she advised that she had not gotten my information from my surgeon.  Call my surgeon later in the evening they faxed the info and today i am on the BCBS web site as waiting review.  Fist time my request has been listed there hopefully this is a good sign.  Hope this is good news.

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/14 3:19 pm - Ringgold, GA
RNY on 04/01/14

I probably shouldn't announce it on here, but I worked several years for BCBST, and although I had no part in the review process, I can tell you they absolutely stick to the requirements.  I believe they need a 5 year documented weight history, so if at any time you were above 308, use that number to take your 10% from....If not, you'd have to get down to 277.  I don't know if you're required to maintain that for a length of time, or if it can just be your pre-op weight.  It would be worth asking - I'm like you, I can do anything for a couple of months, but maintaining it is another story.  If your doctor's office isn't that familiar with the TN plan, being that you're in WV, you could always call member services for clarification.

Best wishes! 

jasoncline82
on 3/12/14 10:40 am
Topic: HELP

I live in Bluefield WV my wife has BCBS TN i am on her insurance.  I have been going to my PCP and my sergon every month for over 12 month.  The policy states it requires you to lose 10% of body weight.  I started my journey at a weight of 308lb I lost down too 287 now I am back up to 295.  Has anyone with BCBSTN been approved without loosing the 10% weight.  If i could loose it and keep it off I would not be having the procedure.

jjordan8130
on 2/2/14 2:28 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. Houson vs. Dr. Spaw - Nashville

Just wanted to say that I'm a patient of Dr. Housten. He and Dr. Spaw are the only two in the area who do the surgery I want (DS). Dr. Spaw does it open and Housten does it Lap. I'm waiting on final Insurance approval now. I love Dr. Housten. I work at Centennial and Vandy, but chose Centennial and Housten because they're great! 

Dr. Housten is no-nonsense for sure. He made me teach him about my surgery and said I couldn't have DS until I could articulate all that was involved. I LOVE HIM!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics