Recent Posts

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/16/14 3:14 pm, edited 11/16/14 3:17 pm
VSG on 01/11/16
Topic: Rogersville :)

Hi all, 

Just wondering if there is anyone in the Rogersville area that knows of a local support group.. 

tiny1
on 11/4/14 3:12 am - Clarksville, TN
Topic: RE: Help!!!! Can anyone recommend a great bariatric surgeon in Clarksville TN???

In 2004 I had a RNY with Dr. Steely, I cannot say he is a great surgeon. I never lost down to my goal weight and then in the past couple of years the weight has returned. I went to him to get a referral for a revision and he would not even discuss the idea, he said I needed to get back on track and eat right! I would suggest going to Nashville, the surgeons are better qualified and I think the overall care is better. Keep us posted on your progress.

mgamble
on 9/4/14 9:35 am - Knoxville, TN
Topic: Shame, discouraged, a long road getting here

I had lap-band in March of 2006 and did GREAT! I lost LOTS of weight, was the poster child for my doctor, led support groups, etc. Now, eight years later I've gained 60 lbs back and am disgusted with myself.

I've had recent complications with my band and am considering revision to the gastric sleeve. Would love to find others who have experienced this revision.

I haven't been on this site in years, but here I am again.

Live, Love, Laugh, Learn
http://mbginkxtn.blogspot.com/

AprilMusicCity
on 9/1/14 3:50 am
Topic: RE: BCBS of TN

Bonnie,

I have my paperwork from the Doctors Diet Program that documented my Weight and BMI each visit and shows that even with that diet and the Phentermine I couldn't lose the weight. I did that for more than 6 months. Would that take the place of having to do another 6 months of a medically supervised diet?

bonnied
on 8/31/14 7:27 pm - St. Albans, VT

First, have you met with the surgeon's office? They will call your insurer and get it in writing what needs to be done. If you are on disability and Medicare is your primary, then yes, you doo need to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. Medically supervised. Your surgeon will set you up with this. Go to the doc and gather all the information. Six months is over before you know it. It's been 9 years for me this year! Still so glad I went for it! Good luck!

AprilMusicCity
on 8/30/14 4:47 am

Bonnie (Or ANYONE that has knowledge that will help me know what to do and give my hope that I can get the Gastric Bypass),

I know your post was many years ago, but I am hoping you will still receive this message! I am 37 years old and I had major spine surgery 4 years ago at the age of 33 years old. I had 8 ruptured discs in my neck and back. I had a spinal fusion in c/6 and c/7 and then a spinal fusion in T2-L2 with 23 screws and 23 rods, 8 discectomies, and laminectomy of the spinal covering. I have always had problems with my weight and yo-yo dieting. I weighed around 180 pounds when I had my spinal fusion surgery. That surgery was traumatizing to my body and my mind.... It was the most horrific surgery I have ever been through! I have Fibromyalgia so when they cut through all of those muscles in my back it devastated my body!! I have never recovered from that surgery. As I laid on the couch for months and months which turned into years along with taking high doses of Lyrica caused a significant weight gain! I gained 100 pounds so I now weigh 280 pounds and I am 5'8 making my BMI a 43! All of this extra weight on top of my spinal fusion has given me chronic pain that I have to manage with narcotic pain medicine. The pain medicine causes my acid reflux to be much worse as well as shortness of breath and wheezing and constipation. I have Osteoarthritis throughout my body, I tore the meniscus in my right knee and had to have it repaired in 2007, I have degenerative disc and joint disease, I was hospitalized the day after Christmas in 2012 for Strep Throat that was so severe and my health is so bad that I couldn't fight it off and get rid of it!! I am trying to heal now from a Tibial Stress Fracture in my right leg caused by all of this excess weight weighing down on my knees, I had a stress fracture in my left foot/ankle from the stress of the excess weight as well. My vitamin D level has been scary low many times over the last few years. One lab test showed that my vitamin D level was a 4! I am currently taking a prescription of 50,000 IU Vitamin D for a year to keep it at a healthy level. As you can see I have many comorbidities and my BMI is 43. I want to get off of the narcotic pain medicine as well because it scares me to be on something that will eat my organs up long term including my heart! :( Heart disease runs significantly in my family as well as lung disease. I already have heart palpitations, chest pain, severe shortness of breath and a constant wheezing/whistling sound, excessive sweating and high blood pressure (not on medication for this, but it's high at a stage 1 hypertension level).... Oh and my back does not bend anymore because with the fusion my spine is just one long bone now. With it not bending and all of the weight I carry on the front of my upper body I feel like I am trapped in a straight jacket unable to move!! I struggle to get up from sitting down or get up from bed. I have to roll over to the side to get up! All of this is constantly making me strain my back muscles and my Sciatica. It's just awful!! I really feel that I might actually be able to be less disabled if I can get this surgery and get the weight off. As far as insurance since I am on permanent disability I am on Medicare. I have a supplement insurance which is Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN- Blue Advantage (Garnet) Do you know any of the requirements for this insurance? I know that my plan does cover the Gastric Bypass surgery. Do you know if I have to wait the 6 months and all of that? Any information that you can give to help me would be more than appreciated!!! Thank you so much.... :) April 

D66
on 8/21/14 9:58 pm
Topic: RE: Bluecare Provider?

Hi, try reviewing BlueCare web site for the guidelines, etc. Also, when you go to the seminar that may help answer some of your questions as well.

Usually the preps: such as meeting with nutritionist, Lab, Psych visit, etc, etc....will take about 3-4 months to complete.

Just have patience and it'll happen one day at a time then it'll all be behind you before you know it.

I'm nearly 3 months into this and just completed all my pre-reps, now waiting on submission to insurance for approval...

Darlene

Krissystanley
on 8/3/14 3:09 am
Topic: RE: TennCare Fraud

Did blue care approve?

Krissystanley
on 8/3/14 2:51 am
Topic: RE: Bluecare Provider?

Hi, I am going to my first seminar to get a gastric sleeve. I have BlueCare and was wondering what all I have to do to get approved by the insurance company? any help 

D66
on 8/1/14 5:49 am
Topic: RE: Any old folks still around?

Hi, I'm a newbie and live in "Chattanooga".

I've been searching and searching from people closer to be from Obesity help.

Perhaps we can all motivate each others.

Darlene

Most Active
Recent Topics