Just Concerned.....

AprilHutson
on 7/13/04 6:25 pm - Sparta, TN
I know we all go through many emotions and feelings during our journeys..Lord knows I've had them all already and I haven't even really got started yet.What I'm saying is I'm even more concerned since a Dr at work the other night started talking about Gastric By-Pass surgery and that it was a very bad idea to even think of having it done. I asked him why he felt this way and his response was that more people are having complications and more people are dying than what we are made aware of!!!! I asked him to elaborate on this and he started talking about leaks and PE's and such.He said he didn't want to discourage anyone from having it done that really needed it, to just be sure that you have a good Surgeon with a good track record.I also asked this Dr if he himself had ever been FAT and knew anything about what it felt like to be labeled "MORBID OBESE" and of course he dosen't.This being said I just hope anyone researching or hoping to have this done has really done their "homework" and truley know the risks of this surgery.I myself have researched it for 3-4 years and have several friends that have it done and what this Dr said has not changed my mind.I just know how it feels to be "FAT" and all the discrimination that goes along with it,and the sometimes "Despair" that being fat causes.Just don't anyone rush into this MAJOR surgery with the attitude that it will be simple or that you don't have to change your lifestyle.It is a lifelong commitment and sometimes a hard road to follow. I just wanted to share this with you guys.I Love this site and everyone on here.This a great place to come for inspiration and questions. I hope I haven't scared anyone. April
Tara S.
on 7/13/04 9:28 pm - Northwest, CO
Well said. I have researched for over 3 years.
wannabe an 8.
on 7/14/04 6:01 am - knoxville, TN
Thanks for being concerned. I think you have to truly be or you are only kidding yourself. I would never make this choice on a whim or a comment someone else made. I truly believe you must do your homework and be prepared for anything. The dr does not lie to you about your risks he tells you YOU COULD DIE plain and simple. You have to be willing to accept that fact you could and tehn again you may not. My surgeon has done over 600 and had no deaths and 2 leaks. Yes that is a little different from the 1in 200 standard but that is an over all national standard. I also have acceptd the fact is if I do not ahve this surgery I WILL DIE sooner than i would if I did not have all of the co morbids that are because of my weight. So for me the risks of having WLS greatly out weigh not having the surgery.. Look at all the many people here who are posting everyday about thow wonderful ther life is now. The thousands that have not posted and have had this surgery and are living life to the max.... There is no way i am not going to take that chance. I think everyone has an opinion and everyone should not always listen to somone else. Maybe that dr is not as educated on the surgery as he should be. My PCP was against it until a year ago. Now he has researched it himself and has great comments about it. The risks are there will any surgery... Just my 2 cents Michelle
ShrinkingKatie
on 7/14/04 7:48 am - Crossville, TN
Very well said, Michelle!
ShrinkingKatie
on 7/14/04 7:45 am - Crossville, TN
April... I gotta ask but was this Dr. Flint? My parents have talked to him about MY surgery and he was completely against it.... By the way, he is a doctor in Sparta! If I would of had your number the other day - I'd of called you! I was there ALL day, then spent 4 hours in Wal-mart! LOL! About your post though - You didn't scare me because I knew all the risks before surgery, hell I knew them before Dr. Hruska told them to me first hand. But I knew if I keep living the way I was, I'd end up dieing! Instead I took the risk and now I'm living a much happier life! My energy is up, my self-esteem is wonderful, and I can actually look in the mirror and think "Wow, that chick is kinda cute!" - Now I just can't wait till MORE weight comes off... Hehe I'll be freakin HOT! Hmm they should put a warning that your ego will be worse then ever, but in a good way! LOL! Talk to you soon, chickie! - You still coming to dinner either on the 30 or 31st? -Katie
tinyTNgirl
on 7/14/04 1:16 pm - TN
Hiya April! I had a similar experience with one of the five physicians I worked for. He was very against me having the surgery and would take every opportunity he found to give me bad words or vibes about it. I was out of the office for preop I think, and when I returned he practically ran over to me and said "oh I wish you could have just met this patient I had. She had gastric bypass and shes heavier now than when she had surgery" and gave all these details. I later looked at her chart and found that he left a major detail out of the story. This lady had surgery like 15 years ago. She claimed, to him anyway, that she could only tolerate carbohydrates. YEAH OK! I learned to let his babble flow in one ear and out the other without making any visits in between. Everyone has an opinion, but not all are air worthy if you know what I mean. Trust your heart sweetie, and as long as you have faith in Jesus and your surgeon, it will all work out. Thats my two cents! LOL God bless!! Melanie
Elizabeth B.
on 7/15/04 4:13 pm - Bristol, TN
my anniversary for wls is coming up aug the 16th it will be 5 yrs and it took me 3 yrs of researching it and a whole lot of soul searching to come to the conclusion it was for me . I researched the surgeons in our area also and my first consult with Dr Birkitt he was very upfront with the complications and what all he had run into even the deaths from it . If it had not been for this man being so upfront with me about the surgery and the complications that could happen i wouldnt of waited as long as i did and i might not of been as ready for it as i was when i did decide it was for me .This is not for eveyone and if you run across a doctor that is not forthcoming with information on the complications that he has had with his pts. , to be honest i wouldnt want that doctor operating on me .Your comfort level with your surgeons skills is most important for your well being in more ways than 1. To everyone on the message board have a blessed day . Elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics