hey everybody i have two important question

bopper
on 7/6/04 8:22 am - chattanooga, TN
yes this is janice i am going to have rny surgery and i want to know if anyone out there has had any serious complications during the surgery and what is the death rate for this type of surgery i know it may sound odd but they keep going over in my mind just nervous i guess thank you for your help. janice posey
DixieFlower
on 7/6/04 12:43 pm - Chattanooga, TN
Ok from what Ive found out in my research most complications are due to pre existing conditions not the surgery itself. Yes there is the chance of leaks however in most cases surgeons are very maticulous about making sure that they are checked for. You have to remember this surgery is being done on morbidly and super morbidly obese ppl. Any sort of surgery that is done on this clasification of ppl is a major risk. Not to say surgery on anyone isn't a bit of a risk. The last I heard though the mortality rate associated with WLS is 1 in 200. However the best thing to do is talk to your surgeon find out how many of these procedures he/she has performed and what their own mortality rate is. Also I looked at it this way I have just as much chance being super morbid obese and dying from a heart attack tomorrow as I do having this procedure done so I can lead a better quality of life. *huggles*
bopper
on 7/7/04 9:27 am - chattanooga, TN
hey dixie flower i want to thank you for your reply i guess i am just nervous thank you janice posey.
ShrinkingKatie
on 7/6/04 8:53 pm - Crossville, TN
*Trying really hard to think positive* Hmmm didn't you do research on this surgery before actually deciding to have it done? Didn't you talk to your doctor about the complications? The death rate? But to answer you one of your questions - I didn't have any complications but that doesn't mean you won't either. Each person is different - Our bodies are different - We react differently to certain things and etc. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this or do a google search on WLS/Gastric Bypass/Open RYN/Lap RYN. Good luck! -Katie
bopper
on 7/7/04 9:31 am - chattanooga, TN
hey katie i did talk with my surgon and he said he has no had any death due to the surgery i guess i just needed to hear it a little more thank you for your reply and may god bless you. janice posey
TraumaRN
on 7/7/04 1:20 am - COVINGTON, TN
The death rate is 1 in 200. That's a national average. You should ask your surgeon what his/her death rate is. The biggest complication is a pulmonary embolis. You need to move after surgery. Walk as much as you can and don't stay sedate.
bopper
on 7/7/04 9:34 am - chattanooga, TN
hey anne i want to thank you for your reply i did talke with my doctor and he told me that he has no death rate with the surgery and i want to thank you again i just waiting and have time to think i guess love janice posey.
Most Active
Recent Topics