Past failed diets

Donna C.
on 7/5/04 7:48 am - Gatlinburg, TN
What if one does not have a doctor controlled record of a program. 15 years ago I did the OptiFast, that was a dr. controlled one but to get records from back that far might just be impossible. There are hundreds of books out there that have diets and a great many of us have used some of them. Is this going to be a snag for the insurance company to hang a "no help" claim on? If anyone has had that same problem will you tell us about it and if you got around it, how so. Thank you Donna
Laura H.
on 7/5/04 11:48 am - Memphis, TN
Donna, I have been dieting off and on for several years and not once was it dr. supervised. Knowing that this was an insurance requirement, I am seeing my dr. right now once a month for dr. supervised weight loss. Truth be told, I haven't lost very much, maybe 8 - 10 lbs., but at least it is documented. I will finish this up in August and will apply for insurance then. I wish that I didn't have to do this, but 6 months isn't that long and has flown by for me. As for the optifast that you did 15 years ago, I don't think they will count that, I think it has to be within the past 3-5 years but I could be wrong. Laura
Donna C.
on 7/5/04 12:31 pm - Gatlinburg, TN
Thank you again for answers. Had your husband been on a dr. controlled diet anyway, so he did not have to do the 6 months? Come to think of it I was given one by my dr. just to cut my carbs. down to nothing as I went in to see him in "crisis" with Type 2 Diabetes. Sure took my blood down(but I could have licked a veggie cart most days), and lost something on the order of a half pound in 6 weeks. All the meat, eggs and cheese was not a calorie reducing diet? But those carbs were taken care of! I have looked on my calendar and it was mid March when I was put on this, so the 6 months would be up in 2 and half months. Now, can you do these things at the same time, be getting your paper work together, take it in for first consult and turn the dr. advised diet when complete? Boy, I know these are a lot of questions and no doubt I can get some of the answers by calling the office. Have my mental health checkout tomorrow.. Did you find this taxing? I have heard some people did not PASS. I have not a clue why this would be. Again, thank you for the insight. I am sure this is helping others that are reading it too. Donna
Laura H.
on 7/6/04 6:27 am - Memphis, TN
Hi DOnna! My husband had already done a dr. supervised diet when he was in college, so he already had that completed before he even started this journey. Laura
Rita J.
on 7/6/04 7:41 am - Bartlett, TN
Donna, I also had to have records of at least 6 months of a medically supervised program and what I did was I had been on a diet program throught my church called "First Place" and had weekly weigh-ins for a year. I then had my PCP write a letter stating that he approved that diet and was aware that I was doing that program and that did the trick with the insurance company. Rita
Most Active
Recent Topics